Com port, baud rate

Discussion in 'Computing and Networks' started by Khalid Abur-Rahman, Mar 22, 2009.

1. Khalid Abur-Rahman

Thread Starter Active Member

Dec 25, 2008
    whenever i need to use my com port for any software program I'm using that needs to communicate with it. it never works. Like if the software tells me to set the baud rate to like 9600(which it does most of the time) and I set it to the specified parameters...it always says that it cannot communicate with the com port because there is a baud rate difference. Yet all the parameters are set as instructed. What can be the problem?

2. tuborggg

Jan 3, 2009
    Check that you com port is ok - use hyper terminal to check its connection.
    (It's a very good Win application, check you start menu under accessories-communication)

3. xushirui

Apr 7, 2009
    Beside the baudrate, You need also check port name, byte size, parity, stop bits and data flow control.
    HyperTerm is good, however, it can show ascii char only.
    You can also try Comm Operator (http://www.serialporttool.com/CommOpInfo.htm), it can list all com port and show data in both ascii and hex.

4. electronictech

Apr 1, 2009
    Hyperterminal should still receive and display data, although it will be viewed as 'junk'...even if the baud rates are not equal.

A possible reason for it not connecting is that another program may be using the port, or the port itself is damaged. Also the port has to work with RS-232 level signals, if your device is not meeting the guidelines for RS-232, the port will not even recognize the device.

Anyways, good luck and have fun!