Colorful Cable

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by looking-for-wire, Jan 5, 2014.

1. looking-for-wire

Thread Starter New Member

Jan 5, 2014
    What kind of cable has a lot of colorful striped wires inside of it like this one. I used to make braclets out of this when i was younger and i want to get a piece for my friends kids. What would have the most diverse colors inside and also which one would easiest on my wallet? Thank you for your time.[​IMG]

2. BillB3857

Feb 28, 2009
    My guess would be telephone trunk cable. Google it to check. Plenty of pictures.

3. KJ6EAD

Apr 30, 2011
    Ditto the telephone trunk line. For jewelry the larger gauges up to 20 or 22 hold their shape better and have a little more visual appeal than the smaller sizes.

4. looking-for-wire

Jan 5, 2014
    That is definitely colorful. I really want something striped. Where would i buy something like that? Again thanks for any help.

5. Markd77

Sep 7, 2009
  6. Externet

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 29, 2005
    Any telephone company repairman that you find by the street should gladly provide a section of it if properly asked, as in small lenghts has no use for them and is typically discarded or recycled. Explain what you want it for, ask what different ticknesses are available; if lucky may get a two inch diameter with dozens of pairs.
    Make sure you will not get the waterproof type which has a nasty gooey compound in it.

7. tracecom

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 16, 2010
    Check at you local Goodwill or other thrift store for parallel printer cables. Some have 25 wires, each a different striped color. Such cables are mostly obsolete and can be had for a little or nothing; they are available up to 25 feet long (or maybe longer.)

Of course, you will have to cut the connectors off and strip the outer sheath to get to the colored wires.

8. DerStrom8

Feb 20, 2011
    Telephone cable or Ethernet cable has colored/striped wires in it. You can also sometimes find old automotive wiring harnesses that have similar coloring, but I agree--telephone cable is your best bet.

EDIT: I like tracecom's idea of parallel printer cables. You'll have to cut off the outer sheath, but inside you'll find the wires you're looking for.

Good luck!
    Matt

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    except the printer wires are stranded. The phone wires are solid core.
    Still, each has its use.

10. looking-for-wire

Jan 5, 2014
    Thanks for the help people, I love forums. I don't Know s*** about electronics but let me try to return the favor. If your drains are clogged, before you spend a few hundred on a plumber, buy a few gallons of VINEGAR and let it sit all night. If your kitchen sink is clogged grab the plunger but have somebody else hold the plug tight on the other side of the sink, to keep the pressure on the clog, while you plunge like your mad. Remember the drain line from your house connects to the cities pipes and they are 6 INCHES in diameter!!!! So plunge away before you pay.

DerStrom8 likes this.

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    I live alone. The kids don't drop Leggos down my drains.:D

PS, the drain my 4 inch pipe goes to is more like 30 inches. Old brick and mortar, probably built by short people.

12. elec_mech

Nov 12, 2008
    You can also get a few colors from spare cords you probably have lying around the house:

Ethernet cable, eight wires:
    Solid Orange
    White with Orange Stripes
    Solid Green
    White with Green Stripes
    Solid Blue
    White with Blue Stripes
    Solid Brown
    White with Brown Stripes

Telephone cable, two to four wires:
    Solid Red
    Solid Green
    Solid Yellow
    Solid Black

I know these are colors you can get from solid core cables (used for putting in walls). The colors inside stranded or flexible cables you have at home may be different.

If you have one, you can also try talking to the IT person at your work and see if they could spare you a couple of feet of telephone and Ethernet cable.

13. djsfantasi

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 11, 2010
    If your IT person can't spare some 100 feet of cable, ask if s/he could give you patch cables that have gone bad. The wires often break off at the connector and it's easier to replace the cable than try to repair it. We cut off the connector and trash the cable (you won't believe the trash pickers who try to recycle it from my trash bin, then complain to IT that it doesn't work).
    Other sources are building rehabs. Ask if there are any 25 pair (or greater) telephone cables being torn out that you could have. That's where I got the majority of wire when I was young.

14. Externet

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 29, 2005
    That will reeeaaally work if you pour baking soda first into the drain.:)

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    Just be quick about putting the plug in the drain after you pour the vinegar. :D

16. 4pyros

Jan 3, 2014