Color organs

GFTMC

Joined Jan 20, 2008
This ttopic is about color organs. Very simple ones. I only found 2 topics about this when I searched for them, and both haven't answered my question.

This is it: What is the simplest color organ that can be made? I speak of one that only references overall volume and doesn't refer to each frequency volume. I thought that something such as A single power source that leads to a very simple AMP, then five resistor, each of bigger Ohm connected parallely, with each resistor ending with a LED.

Will such a thing work? If no, how can it be made to work?

Also, the entire thing should operate using a 12V battery, or using a 230V to 12V transformer.

GFTMC

Joined Jan 20, 2008
Thanks for your reply.

What do you mean by "indicates the magnitude of the audio signal"?

Can I create a similar circuit to indicate the volume of the sound?

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
An LM3914 is a linear voltmeter. The bottom LEDs will have huge spaces in volume while the top LEDs will have very small spaces in volume. The total range is 20dB.

An LM3915 is a logarithmic sound level meter. The LEDs are spaced with equal volume steps. Each step is half or double the power. The total range is 30dB.

Your hearing responds logarithmically to loudness so you can hear a pin drop and hear a jet airplane nearby.

nomurphy

Joined Aug 8, 2005
However, if you want a much better approach using a quad IC, see the attached. This is also a great circuit for driving a 3914/15 for a VU/level meter.

Attach a LED (or LED's) with properly sized ballast resistor at the output near the bottom right side.

Attachments

Ron H

Joined Apr 14, 2005
However, if you want a much better approach using a quad IC, see the attached. This is also a great circuit for driving a 3914/15 for a VU/level meter.

Attach a LED (or LED's) with properly sized ballast resistor at the output near the bottom right side.
You haven't tested that have you? The output peak rectifier/filter rectifies only positive peaks, and has no discharge path for the caps - worse than that, the LM324 has PNP inputs, which means it will charge the caps. The active rectifier in front of that puts out positive peaks that are at the positive saturation limit of that op amp, and are not related to the signal amplitude. The negative peaks go a diode drop below Vref.:confused:
EDIT: If you reverse D402, and then take its cathode from the other end of D401 (the op amp's inverting input), you might be getting something close to what you are after.