Color coded plastic RF coils

Jazz2C

Joined May 27, 2016
So I was wondering if anyone knows where I can find specifications or just the inductance range of slug tuned coils wound on color coded plastic forms?

Just so you know what I'm talking about the dimensions are 14.5mm high and 8mm in diameter. All the forms have furrows for 10 turns but are factory wound according to their color (I can tell you red is 2.5 turns and orange is 3.5 turns). I can't use single layer coil formula b/c of the slug and lcr meters test with 1 khz which isn't always accurate for components intended for RF. Also these are the modern coils so they're not the same as the larger color coded coils from old Motorola VHF transceivers (like Mitrek). Sry my connection doesn't allow uploading images and I can't find an online pic:( Thanks in advance!:)

PS @Aleph(0) If you still have any of those PLL Plus modules could you post a pic of the matching network coils for me? They're the type I'm talking about:cool:

Aleph(0)

Joined Mar 14, 2015
PS @Aleph(0) If you still have any of those PLL Plus modules could you post a pic of the matching network coils for me? They're the type I'm talking about
JC I have them but I can't upload pic files either:( I think it's strange that we can up our avatars but not pics to posts or blog:confused:?
@Hypatia's Protege will be back at WW location briefly this weekend so if she has time she might up a pick of her pll+ board:) I can email and pm her about it too:)

So for now maybe someone on here can help? JC this isn't very profound but if you knew manufacturer of coils you'd have your answer:) You could contact SI or RH at Broadcast Warehouse to ask what brand of coils they used:) Following their big league success they're not easy to reach by phone but I'll bet they'd answer email especially if you tell them you are friend of HP:D

Aleph(0)

Joined Mar 14, 2015
@Jazz2C Don't be sending me messages flagged urgent and then go incommunicado:mad:! If you'd bothered to login you would have known that I found a pic of the pll+ with perfect view of the two coils mentioned in your op! I can't help it if no one responds! Maybe they find your snail pace followups on other threads off-putting cuz it can look like you're not really into it! Anyhow if you don't answer your email, phones or voicemail don't expect me to go 350 miles out of my way to hold your hand cuz you're stressed about unidentified rf inductors:rolleyes:! JC post 3 shows two of the type coil you want info on so I see no reason to bug HP with it!

JC since you are the inveterate skinflint (OBTW cut the BS! I was student too and it's no excuse:rolleyes:) just test them at 100mhz with an MFJ269c (or like that) that's only $400 so if you want I'll overnight you one with my compliments:rolleyes: Now I say you need to have some perspective and pull yourself together!

Hypatia's Protege

Joined Mar 1, 2015
just test them at 100mhz
So the MFJ269 covers down to 100 milliHertz ?:confused::confused::confused: Golly golly!:D

OBTW cut the BS! I was student too and it's no excuse:rolleyes:
Aleph! Would you deprive a growing boy of his lunch money? -- For shame!:D

I found a pic of the pll+ with perfect view of the two coils mentioned in your op!
I'll grant you that! It's a perfect illustration!:) -- OBTW the pictured item is a PLL PLUS the PLL+ is a different product (go figure:confused::rolleyes:)

You could contact SI or RH at Broadcast Warehouse to ask what brand of coils they used
I'm not certain Scott and Roger are yet associated with BW? -- Seems I heard they sold the firm? Otherwise, Roger may be the best contact inasmuch as he was the RF/Hardware dude whereas Scott was the software and marketing guy...

@Hypatia's Protege will be back at WW location
What's the "WW location"?:confused::confused::confused: -- Or are you referring to the location of my unsecured (i.e. general purpose) ISP? -- As a point of curiosity how does a 'regular' user view IPs on Xenforo?

that's only $400 so if you want I'll overnight you one with my compliments
Um... Aleph? Inasmuch as you failed to 'disclaim' - lemme do it for you, lest you be accused of 'malfeasance in the name of education' -- Aleph has no association whatever with Ameritron/MFJ (she's merely a very generous young lady where pennies and nickles are concerned):)

Don't be sending me messages flagged urgent and then go incommunicado:mad:! If you'd bothered to login...
Shhhhhh! -- Maybe he's studying!:eek::D

Hey you two -- it goes without saying that my 'derision' is all in good fun -- absolutely no ridicule intended!:) -- Moreover, I promise to read through your posts thoroughly upon my return!:)

Very best regards
HP:)

Aleph(0)

Joined Mar 14, 2015
Aleph has no association whatever with Ameritron/MFJ
Anyhow if I did I'd be slow to admit it:eek:! MFJ equipment is well designed but like you say is in the tank cuz of zero quality control! That's why it sells for like one fifth the price of similar equipment from more reputable manufacturer (same for Ameritron). I sure wish they'd get the message that ppl are willing to pay more for stuff that just works the first time:rolleyes:!