College Project

dimah4x

Joined Jan 9, 2014
Hello every one
I need to build a project by myself in order to graduate college and get my degree
the only problem is that I really have no idea what to build
could anyone donate an idea to me?
something challenging and yet complicated that involves both programming and electronics and if it could include transmissions in it would be great!
so anyone got a fun project to suggest?

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
I keep this as a standard list. Never seen anyone come back for help, so they must be easy:

1) Effects of discharge profile (PWM vs. constant) on battery longivity for various chemistries.

2) Speech jammer: http://www.electronicproducts.com/News/How_to_build_a_SpeechJammer_Gun.aspx

3) Finger speller:
http://www.electronicproducts.com/News/Students_create_device_that_translates_sign_language.aspx

4) Invisibilty cloak:
http://www.electronicproducts.com/News/Mercedes_uses_LEDs_to_create_invisible_car.aspx

5) PingPong robot:
http://www.electronicproducts.com/Videos/This_madly_skilled_robot_will_cream_you_at_ping_pong.aspx

Looking forward to an update.

John

lmarklar

Joined Apr 23, 2015
Design and build a Bond Tool (CBL tool). These tools go onto wireline and are sent down oil and gas wells. They use acoustics to determine the cement bond to the outside of casing. They have to be able to send a signal up 30,000 ft of single conductor wire, and have it properly interpreted at surface. Make it a digital communications signal so that you can add other tools (caliper tools, Magnetic thickness, gamma's, casing collar locators ect) with the same communications protocol above or below this tool in a 'string' and have them all communicate. This has the added benefit of being very very profitable for you if you get it all working properly!

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
I'm sensing that we're not making the sort of impact we were hoping for. I thought surely he would jump on one of our wonderful ideas.

dimah4x

Joined Jan 9, 2014
are you all mocking me or something?
all i asked was for an idea to develop on my own time
i thought this place had a nicer community once...
anyway thank you @jpanhalt for your idea's im probably going to build the finger speller

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
all i asked was for an idea to develop on my own time
i thought this place had a nicer community once...
anyway thank you @jpanhalt for your idea's im probably going to build the finger speller
It is generally a nicer community. However, when presented repeatedly with questions that are inappropriate or ridiculous, sarcasm rears it's ugly head. Members may have become weary of these questions. Seriously, by your senior year you should be familiar with and prepared in your major subject. At least you didn't say the following. "I am building xxxxxx. Can you provide a schematic, parts list, and a PCB layout?" It really happens.

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
...something challenging and yet complicated that involves both programming and electronics and if it could include transmissions in it would be great!
How about a GPS tracker that sends location over GPRS? Not too challenging electronics, unless you want to try going very low power, but the programming of the mcu could be good enough for a masters thesis. You could also add some kind of server application that receives the data and for example plots it on google maps or something.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
I wasn't mocking you, I was making fun of the stunning lack of information in your opening post. You came here for advice from technical folks and engineers. Such folks expect a certain mode of communication - details and precision of language.

I need to build a project by myself in order to graduate college and get my degree
In what field?​

the only problem is that I really have no idea what to build
Really? You've been going for over 3 years and you have ZERO insight into what you like, what you're good at, what your professor might be looking for, and you think WE do?​

could anyone donate an idea to me?
Ideas come easy around here!​

something challenging and yet complicated that involves both programming and electronics and if it could include transmissions in it would be great!
Do you mean transmissions for matching load to source for mechanical power transfer, or radio transmissions?​

Marcus2012

Joined Feb 22, 2015
I have to say even though my bachelor's wasn't in electronics I found it very hard to decide on a final year project. Not for lack of interest though.....for too much, too many sub-fields, so much choice and it can be very overwhelming. For this very reason and in part to try and stop people being overambitious I know a lot of courses at a lot of universities that provide project outline choices for final years (Chemistry, Mathematics, MCB etc.). Sorry I can't give you a good suggestion but I do wish you the best of luck, I know just how stressful choices like this can be when so much credit is at stake. :)