College Project help.

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by Donny84, Nov 10, 2013.

1. Donny84

Thread Starter New Member

Nov 6, 2013
    Hi all,
    I'm currently in my final year of an electrical engineering course in college.
    I have a project to do, but I'm struggling to come up with ideas that aren't basic like a water/light detector or a smoke alarm, etc.
    I have to come up with a PCB that would have some sort of use in industry.
    I wanted to do something that involved a PCB and a PLC but since my college doesn't provide anything mechanical such as robotic arms are conveyor belts, it's a bit difficult to include a PLC.
    I have a budget of £25 which is provided by the college.

Can anyone suggest some ideas as I'm really struggling to come up with any and time is running out :(

Last edited: Nov 10, 2013
  2. strantor

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 3, 2010
    An old-timey looking analog movement meter that reads in 0-100% chance of rain for the day. Gets its signal from the internet, from national weather service.

3. R!f@@

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 2, 2009
    Small budget, huh!

How about a solar battery/cell phone charger

4. bountyhunter

Sep 7, 2009
    A frequency spectrum analyzer that can mute a set of headphones when it detects the higher frequency content range associated with a female voice.

Every married man on earth would buy one.

just kidding, dear....

shortbus and DerStrom8 like this.
  5. KL7AJ

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 4, 2008
    How about an ACCURATE inductance bridge? I"m always looking for one of these!

ERic

6. DerStrom8

Feb 20, 2011
    How about an ESR meter? Extremely useful devices, used to measure the equivalent series resistance of electrolytic capacitors.

7. raphaelriv29

Nov 4, 2013
    how about just controller of some sort using a PIC with a sensor, whatever the application could be once you have the hardware part down you can dazzle people with software by either uploading it to some server and having real time data available, that alone has tons of use in any industry.

8. Donny84

Nov 6, 2013
    Thanks for all the ideas guys!
    However, some of these seem a bit complex for my knowledge...
    I like the idea by raphaelriv29. Can you expand a little on this please? or give and example? :p
    How could I do this? or is there a website I can use to find out how to put it all together? My project has to involve a PCB.

9. R!f@@

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 2, 2009
    Idea is given. You have chosen one.
    Now it's upto you to do it.

We do not provide any help from ground zero.
    You have to start the project. Show it to improve it..

10. shortbus

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 30, 2009
    Not to be mean, but if this is a "final year project", what did you learn in the years before? This is a very bad situation for you, if you had no desire to learn, why didn't you change classes? How does this type of thing (lack of ideas) look for future employment? :confused:

11. Donny84

Nov 6, 2013
    It's a 2 year "college" course, not university. And I DO have a desire to learn. Unfortunately, I struggled a bit with the circuitry side of the course. Where as subjects such as PLC's and C++ are my strong points.
    When it comes to finding a job, it won't be involving building a circuit.
    But nevermind that, you've given me the idea, which I'm grateful for. I'll go do some more research.
    Thanks.

12. R!f@@

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 2, 2009
    Do Ur research. Design something and show us then we can go on from there.

13. moot

Sep 20, 2009
    If the locations people post are to be believed, then you're in the UK and shortbus is in the US. The concern might have been based on the fact that the words "college" and "university" are used interchangeably in the US, whereas I recently learned that the word "college" in the UK specifically means a two-year program. Personally, I just call everything from kindergarten up to a Ph.D. program "school", as they're all institutions of learning.

shortbus likes this.
  14. GopherT

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 23, 2012
    Good point, Moot. Or, good moot point!

(I couldn't resist:D)

15. WBahn

Mar 31, 2012
    But it needs an inversion switch that increases the volume when it detects the same thing.

"Sorry dear, couldn't hear you over the music."

16. WBahn

Mar 31, 2012
    How about a cool-looking coffee cup coaster?

Nice conversation piece. Very durable. Great in the lab.

Advanced Circuits (a local PCB house) made a bunch of these and included them with orders for a while. They were a big hit and very useful.

I would seem to fit the requirements as stated.