Collaborative Answer Key

Sparky49

Joined Jul 16, 2011
Hi everyone.:)

Now I guessing that alot of you have The Art of Electronics on your bookshelfs.

However, one thing which has irked me about it, is the lack of an answer guide. Someone could work through them and get every one wrong and not know.

So I was thinking, what do you guys think of working together to make some sort of answer book for download?

I think it would bring a lot more visitors to AAC, as answer guides are a popular Google search.

There is no where that does an answer guide for this popular book, so perhaps we should work together and make one?

I reckon there are no more than 200 questions (excluded additional exercises), so if we got just 5 of us interested, then at a rate of just 2 questions a day then we'd finish it in 2 and a half weeks.

I'm sure we could do better than that. :)

I wonder what you guys think? Nothing in it should be hard for you pros, and it would help a lot of people.

Sparky

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
I 've yet to read it, so I can't be of much help, but here are some suggestions:

Consider splitting the material and each one taking up a separate part. Don't interfere with each other until the end.
You can use a new thread to post your work or your personal blogs.

Good luck!

Sparky49

Joined Jul 16, 2011
Thanks, I'm up for doing some!

Anybody else feel like helping? Even if you can only do one question, it will help alot!

If you leave your name, then we'll split up the parts afterwards. If you feel there is a particular question/section you can do, just let me know and I can sort it out!

Better than sitting watching Christmas TV specials! :eek: :D

I'll be able to do a few questions tomorrow.

Sparky49

Joined Jul 16, 2011
Yep!

If anyone is interested, don't worry about the Edition, we can sort that out.

Worst case senario, I'll type out the questions in the latest edition, but to my knowledge there isn't much difference between the two.

likui

Joined Dec 20, 2012
okay sparky, im here
we need to decide the edition
than i can arrange a copy of the book,
but my finals are in january so will give little help till than but afterward we can complete the task efficently

Sparky49

Joined Jul 16, 2011
Hi Likui!

Great stuff. As I said, I don't think it will take more than a couple of weeks!

I'd prefer 2nd edition if you've got it. If not I'll send you some questions.

Sparky

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
The second edition is the latest edition for the Art of Electronics. A few years ago, I remember the author alluding to working on a third edition in an NNTP electronincs newsgroup, but I would have thought it would be done by this time.

Half.com had the the second edition, ISBN 0521370957, used for 69.99, and a new one is 106.95 at Amazon.com You can also rent them at Amazon.com for 48.34

Don't forget there is a student manual that is associated with that book.

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
I'll be busy till Apr 15th ... tax season ... before I can do anything productive on your project. If your looking to expedite this matter, I would not be a useful member of your team.

I'd recommend a vetting process for accuracy prior to publication, whether your doing it via individual threads on a forum or just passing the info, via email, to members in the project.

I like and dislike this concept. I'm all in favor for it as feedback to an individual seeking help. I'm opposed to it for some will just copy your answers in lieu of doing any of the work. That type would be found out quickly in the workplace and be very disillusioned on why they can't get a job. The "answer book" is the double edge sword of Democles the members must bear, and here they bear it every day when questions arise.

Sparky49

Joined Jul 16, 2011
Good point Joe.

However, like you say, it is easy to spot someone who has just copied the answers.

I wouldn't like to penalise good people for the rotten minority.

As an update, I've put a bunch of questions in my latest blog post. Even if some can manage one, it will be really useful. :)

Sparky