Coleman Powermate 1850

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by 3crows, Jun 7, 2010.

1. 3crows

Thread Starter New Member

Jun 6, 2010
    I was given a Coleman Powermate 1850 generator by a friend. He said it had worked fine for him. I had trouble getting it to run but after cleaning the carb. it ran OK. I was going to test it out using my skilsaw but had a drop light closer at hand so plugged it in and turned it on. Smoked it! It lit for about 2 seconds then pau! I put my circuit tester into the duplex outlet and it was putting out nearly 200V. The only thing I see in the parts diagram is a capacitor and a diode. Is it possible that the diode is a CRD gone bad or something else? The good news: drop lights are a hell of a lot cheaper than skilsaws. The bad news: Some friend!

2. oidium45

Apr 24, 2010
    I would imagine that there would be a regulator of some sort. But, there is not one listed on the parts list. It is strange that they rely on a single capacitor and bridge diode... Perhaps you can adjust/lower the engine idle speed?

3. 3crows

Thread Starter New Member

Jun 6, 2010
    All the generators I've seen and used operate at idle until under a load when the RPMs jump up to carry the load. So there's the question. What regulates the voltage output? If it's a blown CRD is it now an unrestricted circuit allowing the RPMs control of the voltage?

4. cgarn

Sep 26, 2009
    i had a coleman power mate 4000 and it blow the condensator i just change and it work again , other cause might be the you need to exited the rotor whit a 12 volt battery ,check the thermal protector

5. cgarn

Sep 26, 2009
    the minimun rpm acepted to generate volts is about 3000 rpm

6. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
    If it's putting out 60 Hz, the speed will be right at 3600 RPM.