cold weather controlled outlet

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by alexseattle, Dec 12, 2011.

1. alexseattle

Thread Starter New Member

Dec 12, 2011
    Hi, I'm new to your forum and need some help. I'm fairly handy and I'm looking to build a simple thermal switch that I can control a light bulb with to keep my swimming pool pump from freezing. the pump is covered in a plywood box, so I'm thinking I can plug in a utility light that is comes on when the temperature drops to freezing, then shuts off when it warms up. I have an exterior outlet I can plug into, but not sure how to build a switch, or if I can buy one somewhere.

Any help would is appreciated.
  2. strantor

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 3, 2010
    You could probably find a LDR circuit used for switching relays based on light, and swap out the LDR for a RTD.
  3. strantor

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 3, 2010
  4. thatoneguy

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 19, 2009
    Most pumps around here a 75-100W bulb is just left on all the time, rather than controlled to keep the enclosure at borderline freezing.

An extra kWH/day over a switched solution, so call it 12 cents/day. I think the theory is it's easier to keep something at a temperature than it is to warm it up to that temp.
  5. shortbus

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 30, 2009
  6. wayneh

Sep 9, 2010
    That's a pretty cool little device.

It'll be tough for any DIY solution to beat an off-the-shelf thermostat for this application. You might be able to repurpose the thermostat from an old electric blanket. Or search this forum for egg incubator solutions.