Coin operated electric strike.

haas

Joined Nov 15, 2014
I am working on a project that involves accepting a coin and in turn open a gate. I only have basic knowledge of circuits and electronics. I looked for products that would fit my requirement, did not find any. Couple of products online might fit my purpose with some tweaking, but they are very expensive. So I decided to try on my own.

I purchased a Sintron CH-923 multi coin acceptor and tested it with a 12V battery for the coins I want to use, works perfectly well. I also purchased a cheap electric strike (Electric Strike Lock - Wood/Metal Door Fail Secure (NO)), it works fine when I apply power. Now I want to setup a circuit to trigger the strike when a coin is accepted. I tried using a Suzo Happ coin switch (used in laundry machines) to trigger the strike, without much success. The Coin Acceptor outputs pulse signals, I am now thinking of using that to trigger the strike. I need your help / guidance in setting up circuit for this.

Link for the manual for CH-923.

Thank you

BReeves

Joined Nov 24, 2012
drop me an email.. gluedobber four two two at gmail dot com, replace four two two with the proper digits and no spaces.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
I am working on a project that involves accepting a coin and in turn open a gate. I only have basic knowledge of circuits and electronics. I looked for products that would fit my requirement, did not find any. Couple of products online might fit my purpose with some tweaking, but they are very expensive. So I decided to try on my own.

I purchased a Sintron CH-923 multi coin acceptor and tested it with a 12V battery for the coins I want to use, works perfectly well. I also purchased a cheap electric strike (Electric Strike Lock - Wood/Metal Door Fail Secure (NO)), it works fine when I apply power. Now I want to setup a circuit to trigger the strike when a coin is accepted. I tried using a Suzo Happ coin switch (used in laundry machines) to trigger the strike, without much success. The Coin Acceptor outputs pulse signals, I am now thinking of using that to trigger the strike. I need your help / guidance in setting up circuit for this.

Link for the manual for CH-923.

Thank you
Ask yourself, who carries coins anymore? Then reconsider your project.

Besides coin operated locks are available.

http://www.coinoperatedproducts.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=181

This one is $300 and probably a good reason for that price. ;)

Ask yourself, who carries coins anymore? Then reconsider your project.

Besides coin operated locks are available.

http://www.coinoperatedproducts.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=181

This one is $300 and probably a good reason for that price. ;)
That's true but our application is for the handicapped and needs to be wheelchair accessible. They are not strong enough in many times to physically turn a lock. Our situation is in public parks, campgrounds etc. and they would like to have a coin operated entry, which will in turn activate a time delay relay to power the electric strike, then open the door with a automatic door operator.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Why not something with a cell phone then? Or even a card swipe? Better some kind of sensor similar to a RFI. Might be a lot easier for someone in a chair. Have you done a feasablity study? You might be inviting trouble withe the ADA or similar laws.

The problem with locks, especially ones in public places is they invite compromise. a home brew solution isn't going to make that probleam any easier.