coil design

elre

Joined Jun 23, 2007
Hello Guys,

i want to buils a 120v DC bobine using PVC of a transformer(the rectangular plastic), for an AWG 24 wire how many turns should i be doing?

is there a formula for that?

thanks

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
It's hard to answer your question, as it is hard to tell if you want to wind a transformer secondary of if you just want an inductor. The formula for winding an inductance is here - http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/vol_5/chpt_1/6.html.

If it's a transformer, the ratio of primary turns to the secondary turns gives the output voltage. If you can't get at the primary, you may have to wind the secondary experimentally - put on some turns, apply power, and use a meter to check the secondary voltage. Add or subtract turns until the voltage is correct.

elre

Joined Jun 23, 2007
thanks man
but i need it to be used as electro magnet but i need to have it on the a PVC with air core nothing in the middle just empty. will that formula works?
still i don't see how to relate voltage and number of turns with the dimentions of the pvc.

i hope some one can help.

kender

Joined Jan 17, 2007
... air core nothing in the middle just empty. will that formula works?
Yes, the first two formulae will work for air core. Just substitute mu_r = 1 .
Be aware that the rest of the formulae assume that the inductor is circular, but your inductor is rectangular.