Cognitive radio

Discussion in 'Homework Help' started by arun the curious, Sep 3, 2013.

1. arun the curious

Thread Starter Member

Aug 6, 2012
    Hi everyone,
    Iam planning to make a cognitive radio as part of college project...anyone has experience making it? Pls help...

2. arun the curious

Thread Starter Member

Aug 6, 2012
    why is it moved to hw...it is a project iam doing...

3. WBahn

Mar 31, 2012
    Because it is homework. Anything done for academic credit of any kind is homework.

What kind of help are you asking for?

4. arun the curious

Thread Starter Member

Aug 6, 2012
    im asking if anyone has done anything similar before and provide my guidance for starting from beginning.
    I have searched internet but they dont give much info in this field.

5. strantor

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 3, 2010
    My grandma claims to have had a cognitive radio. She said that back in the day she could hear music playing in his dental fillings every time she passed by the radio station. It's since stopped. Should I put you in contact with her anyway?

6. WBahn

Mar 31, 2012
    So what HAVE you found out about the topic of YOUR project?

What have you learned about what cognitive radio IS?

What is the basic idea behind how it works?

What kinds of things must your project do in order to utilize it?

What are some of the options available to do the things that are necessary?

7. joeyd999

AAC Fanatic!

Jun 6, 2011
    But, WBahn, didn't you read the OP? That's what we're supposed to figure out for him!

panic mode likes this.
  8. WBahn

Mar 31, 2012
    Just trying to confirm that so that I can, err... respond, appropriately.;)

Of course, it is very clear why the OP objected to this being put in the Homework section, isn't it?:rolleyes:

panic mode and JoeJester like this.
  9. bountyhunter

Sep 7, 2009
    Never a good sign when the topic the OP is asking about has to be defined because nobody knows WTH it is....

10. WBahn

Mar 31, 2012
    Oh, I know full well what it is. I've done some work at the periphery of cognitive radio for my dissertation. What is not a good sign is when the OP has chosen a project, does not have the faintest idea what it is about at any level, and then wants others to do the legwork to tell THEM what the hell it is they are working on.

11. arun the curious

Thread Starter Member

Aug 6, 2012
    How can u guys asssume i havent got the faintest idea WTH it is all about...Dont be rude to the persons who ask u for help...Knowledge is not something u give out so that urs becomes less...it grows only with sharing. Truly guys, this attitude of urs is really painful.

I have done some research abt it referring papers and journals.
    I know cognitive radio is a radio technology which can intelligently pick its transmission paraameters and choose its freq band,modulation and power req according to its environment.And is able to use unused,allocated spectrum for other application efficiently. And that it is closely related to software-defined radio.
    But it has not been fully implemented yet
    But i have no prev exp on this...so if u guys can say to what level it is realisable...?
    Hope u ppl understand...piece of advice really helps to start me off in the right direction.

12. wayneh

Expert

Sep 9, 2010
    Not from this side of the glass. It gets tiresome for regulars here to read request after request from lazy - OK maybe time-stressed - students hoping someone here will break down and just hand over the fish instead of teaching them how to fish. Just like raising children, it so often easier to just give in. But that's a very bad strategy for them in the long run. I applaud WBahn for not giving in.

Your request might be perfectly legitimate, but it certainly didn't appear that way when you received the feedback.

arun the curious likes this.
  13. JoeJester

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 26, 2005
    Google retrieved
    clearly not much information to wade through.

From EE times, located at http://www.eetimes.com/document.asp?doc_id=1271125
    In the US, this was on the docket at the FCC in 2003, I'm sure your country has a similar agency ...
    which can be found at http://transition.fcc.gov/oet/cognitiveradio/

Last edited: Sep 4, 2013
    panic mode and arun the curious like this.
  14. WBahn

Mar 31, 2012
    Because that is pretty much what you said. You asked for completely nonspecific help "from the beginning" and claimed that there was very little to be found on the internet.

I asked you to respond to four very simple questions, which you declined to do.

You give all the hallmarks of someone wanting to be spoonfed. Now, initial appearances can be deceiving, especially online. But that is easy to take care of by just showing that you are willing to put forth at least as much effort into the discussion of YOUR project, for which YOU will receive credit, as you are wanting others to put forth for something that they will receive nothing for.

What do you consider "fully implemented".

I just did a Google search for "cognitive radio demonstration system" and got over 360,000 hits. On the first page alone:

Motorola, Inc. TV White Space Cognitive Radio Demonstration

Speedy creation of a cognitive radio demo!

Multi-Platform Demonstrations using the Iris Architecture for Cognitive Radio Network Testbeds

xG Technology Conducts Cognitive Radio Demo at FCC

PRACTICAL IMPLEMENTATION OF A COGNITIVE RADIO SYSTEM FOR
    DYNAMIC SPECTRUM ACCESS

Yep, just not a thing out there to look at.

I have no idea what a question like this means? Is there any reason to think that it isn't realizable to any desired practical level? Do you mean what level it is realizable BY YOU? How should we know that? Though the evidence thus far isn't paiting an optimistic picture.

strantor and arun the curious like this.
  15. arun the curious

Thread Starter Member

Aug 6, 2012
    It seems most of the times...i get what i want only in the hard way!
    Will get back soon.

strantor likes this.
  16. WBahn

Mar 31, 2012
    Translation: Sooner or later I find some unsuspecting soul that will spoon feed me everything. Will go away for a bit and try again later in a new thread and hope that unsuspecting soul comes by before anyone else.

panic mode and strantor like this.
  17. arun the curious

Thread Starter Member

Aug 6, 2012
    No, what i meant was...i will try to go forward with my project, with what information i have and come back if i have any doubts.
    And i will try to translate what u said:
    Bye bye..come back soon.I will be sitting here... hawking in threads,trying to find persons like u who ask for help and try my maximum to bully them...as i know i know everything and i dont feed by spoon,i eat by my bare hands.
    And do u know something,i was born with knowledge fully loaded and nobody has ever told me what to do.

I can go on...but i stop here

No offence.Take it in the right spirit,as i do!
    Sometimes u rnt always right...Step back and look, u may get a better view of things and people...All the best...Get well soon.

Btw, many thanks for u guyz replies...it really has helped a lot.

strantor likes this.
  18. strantor

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 3, 2010
    This thread is the first thing that's been able to make me laugh today. Thank you to all who participated in the comedy routine. We really should do this more often.

This one is my favorite; epic!

panic mode and arun the curious like this.
  19. WBahn

Mar 31, 2012
    I asked you several questions that would guide your search in the right direction. You more-or-less answered one of them, but only in a pique. You've ignored the rest. That's fine. I can't force you to learn something. But just imagine how much more you might know had you spent the same amount of time trying to answer those questions or engaging in a discussion about them as you have spent whining.

20. arun the curious

Thread Starter Member

Aug 6, 2012
    I understand WBahn...i saw ur questions but cudnt answer to them as i was not given the space with all those bullyings and attitudes that i had to reply.
    Please understand that, i respect u for the things u do,ur position and all.And the pain u take to answer all these questions.
    And also that i am not one who likes to be spoon-fed, i want to learn by doing which is obviously y i am here.
    I will reply to ur questions soon,as i have to get some sleep now...I understand that u r doing me a favor by answering them...