COG LCD's...anyone know how they are made?

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by innominata, Aug 22, 2009.

1. innominata

Thread Starter Member

Jul 25, 2009
    Hi :)
    I bought a COG 2x16 LCD module, and somehow managed to order completely the wrong one.
    I wanted a backlit serial and ended up with a parallel without backlight.
    I was playing with an LED behind it, and noticed it was almost transparent.
    Question : Theres a silver film on the back of the back layer of glass.
    Can I remove this, it doesnt seem to be attached anywhere...if the LCD itself is between the two layers, this is just a reflector right? :)

2. jj_alukkas

Jan 8, 2009
    You won't be able to see anything on the LCD if you remove that reflector. LCD's work on the principle of polarizations of liquid crystals to change orientation. And the change can only be seen if light goes in and comes out. Otherwise it will come as a faint display. So better not to remove it.

3. innominata

Thread Starter Member

Jul 25, 2009
    Doh.
    It looks so awesome without it :/
    I guess its a specialized polarizing reflector, and I can't just put a mirror or other reflective thing behind it?
    I wonder if i still have it, and whether it will still work...

4. jj_alukkas

Jan 8, 2009
    Yes it is a polarizing reflector. I have once seen a trick by replacing it with some other type reflector and the LCD colours get inverted. Black and white swaps each other.

Did you remove it?

5. innominata

Thread Starter Member

Jul 25, 2009
    I sure did!
    :/
    Dont suppose you know of a cheap supplier for LCD's that ships internationally for less than $50 US ? :p
    I'm thinking of starting up an importing business the shipping charges are so horrible.
    I can get as much as I want from techsupplies in the uk for $12.50 GBP, but anything from the states seems to cost $50 US regardless of size.
    The exchange rate isnt that different...seems US companies just dont like little guys

6. jj_alukkas

Jan 8, 2009
    When I was a kid I removed the sticker from a calculator display after which it was like a next gen. device though its brightness got reduced. But I guess if you place a super bright blue LED from the sides it would make it even cooler with good display.

7. jpanhalt

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 18, 2008
    Where are you shipping to, Canada?

John

8. innominata

Thread Starter Member

Jul 25, 2009
    Lol. :p

New Zealand

9. jpanhalt

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 18, 2008
    As a suggestion, no warranties of course, I have been surprised with the low shipping rates from dealers in China, particularly Hong Kong. That is, dealers who seem to cater to hobbyists. I can get things from China that ship for less than similar items from England, or even Canada. Of course, you take a chance on quality.

John

10. innominata

Thread Starter Member

Jul 25, 2009
    dont suppose you could point me in the right direction?

11. jpanhalt

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 18, 2008
    Hobby King, but it is for RC modelers, not the sort of electronics you need. We have had great luck with its quality, particularly for LiPo batteries. Of course, since most everything else we buy for RC models is made in China, that is not too surprising.

I would go on ebay, search for the component(s) you need and then contact the Chinese suppliers who will almost certainly show up.

Be careful of the true fakes who ship nonworking components.

John