Code of Conduct

Status
Not open for further replies.

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
Recently I was banned for the use of "abusive remarks and insults" but nobody pointed to what I said that was wrong.

Today another site pointed to a thread here that I participated in and I see than many of my posts were edited by a Super Moderator with no communication with me about why my posts were edited. I never swear and I did not insult anybody.

I frequently dis-approve of the use of a poor performance and 42 years old 741 opamp.
It it wrong for me to call it a "lousy old" opamp? Were the words Lousy and Old removed from my posts? Was I banned for saying that the 741 opamp is a lousy old opamp?

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
It's quite possible. There is an air of arbitrary capriciousness when it comes to this topic. On another forum, that I used to frequent, there was a poster who used the most outrageous language in describing a significant portion of the planet's population. When I objected -- I was vilified. I made an offensive remark about Englishmen to test the proposition that you can insult muslims with impunity, but you cannot impugn a product of the British Public Schools. Speech is free until it isn't, until someone in authority decides that your speech is objectionable. I would prefer the open ended alternative where sunshine on a person's remarks is the most effective disinfectant. We cannot protect people from other people, and when we try it makes tyrants, benovolent and otherwise, out of us. There was a time shortly after joining this forum that I was asked to be a moderator. I declined primarily for the reason that such a responsibility would have made me into something which I am not. We are always free to start a forum of our own where the rules would be different, but I at least would need substantially more motivation to do that.

To your statement about the 741, I'm entirely in agreement. In truth I harbor similar views on the 555. In an engineering career spanning 40 years it has been my extraordinary good fortune that I've never been either tempted or compelled to use one. Ban me if you must, but there it is.

Last edited:

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Perhaps, but there are good reasons for both devices (now you done it, you picked on my favorite). I've come to the conclusion the 741 is a good teaching device, all it's obvious flaws are good for teaching beginners what are basic flaws with all op amps, the 741 is just easier to see and demonstrate. That and it's fairly hard to destroy (it can be done, but it takes more abuse than a lot of chips). For an institution on a budget this can also be a plus. I have seen this chip used during the 70's in military electronics, but not since then.

The 555 needs no defending. With 3 billion per year manufactured the question is not whether they are doing something wrong, but why won't you use the gadget successfully? This chippie sells itself, there are many uses it is the only logical choice. Personally I would like some of it's idiosyncrasies fixed in a later revision (which is not going to happen). Something like a CMOS/BJT hybrid perhaps. It is still very usable for many projects though.

The Chinese produce both good stuff and junk, if you remember the Japanese stuff during the 50's and 60's it was quite similar. Personally I thing they have to get their house in order on health and safety, but they'll eventually get around to it. I'll take their merchandise on a case by case basis, it is not a given that it is trash. I've seen the USA produce some pretty bad items too.

There are a lot of nationalities on this site, they deserve respect. It is possible to criticize a component or an industry without trashing a people. I am against political correctness in all it's forms, but this doesn't mean I make blanket statements about anybody in particular.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.