coaxial cable and high frequency signals

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by yassser, Dec 19, 2012.

1. yassser

Thread Starter Member

Jul 25, 2011
    in the following schematic , this is the source of a high frequency signal , that will pass through a coaxial cable , the cable capacitance cause the signal to get distorted , I reduced the resistance R18 to 250Ohms , but the signal is still not satisfying , is there any other way to make it better without reducing the resistance further?
    [​IMG]

2. bertus

Administrator

Apr 5, 2008
    Hello,

How high is this mentioned frequency?
    How long is the coax cable?
    A driver between the MCU and coax might give better results.

Bertus

3. yassser

Thread Starter Member

Jul 25, 2011
    the signals are two inverted pwm signals , the problem is that there must be a 1 usec dead time between the two signals where they are both low , and it would be a problem if this deadtime period is received as a shorter or a longer .

the cable is about 10-15 meters

I checked the max232 and its delay was very high for me , is there another driver that would fit?

4. bertus

Administrator

Apr 5, 2008
  5. Brownout

Jan 10, 2012
    Make sure the coax is matched at the source and load. Make sure the coax is correct for the highest frequency. Use diodes at the ends to quash overshoot if needed. If you want better advise, you will need to provide better details.

6. crutschow

Expert

Mar 14, 2008
    Try a simple transistor buffer. Use a small NPN, such as 2N2222A, as an emitter follower driver at the output of the 6N137. Add a 50 ohm load to ground at the far end of the coax.