Coax DC Power Jack

ramsey

Joined Nov 4, 2010
Hi again,

I opened a thread a few days ago relating to building an electromagnet. My design uses a wall wart that outputs 18VAC (not VDC) and I found an appropriate receptacle connector based on the ID/OD but all the coaxial power jacks I've seen are all entitled "DC power jacks" and yet I don't really think it should matter if the input is from a VAC wall wart. But I just want to bring it up to see what the pros think because I don't want to screw anything up (I'm not experienced). Thanks again.

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
RadioShack sells cheap junk from ***** at excessive prices. A name-brand jack would have a current rating and would last a long time. The RadioShack one has no manufacturer's name and no current rating. It might fail tomorrow.

More reasons why RadioShack is gone from Canada.

ramsey

Joined Nov 4, 2010
RadioShack sells cheap junk from ***** at excessive prices. A name-brand jack would have a current rating and would last a long time. The RadioShack one has no manufacturer's name and no current rating. It might fail tomorrow.

More reasons why RadioShack is gone from Canada.
I generally can agree with the fact that they charge more than other places online. The one thing they have going for them is having local stores which is great. But otherwise I order from other places online. And yeah, it'd be nice to know the current rating as well because I'm trying to drive 2 amps through it. Probably will look around elsewhere since my question is in fact answered.

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
I generally can agree with the fact that they charge more than other places online. The one thing they have going for them is having local stores which is great. But otherwise I order from other places online. And yeah, it'd be nice to know the current rating as well because I'm trying to drive 2 amps through it. Probably will look around elsewhere since my question is in fact answered.
See the attached link for what seems like good information about these connectors (of course with the caveat that Wikipedia info is user contributed.) Especially see the EIAJ section.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coaxial_power_connector