CMOS Inverter Electronics Question

jegues

Joined Sep 13, 2010
I'm having trouble with this question. (See figure attached)

How do I go about showing that the expression provided is indeed the maximum current that the inverter can sink under the mentioned constraints?

After I figure that part out I will make an attempt at the second portion of the question.

Thanks again!

Attachments

jegues

Joined Sep 13, 2010
I don't see any work from you, only scans from a bookk?

Show your attempt at it, please.
\(i_{dmax} = 0.075kn'(\frac{W}{L})_{n}V_{DD}^{2}\)

\(V_{OL} = 0.1V_{DD}\)

To be honest with you, I don't have a good enough feel of where to start to give any reasonable attempt.

Can you give me a shove in the right direction?

I have no problems with making attempts at the solution as long as I have something to work from.

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
I believe you are to work the given answer backwards from the end where it is stated that \(k^'_n=\frac{115\mu A}{V^2} @V_{DD}=2.5V\)

Make a simultaneous equation to find \((\frac{W}{L})_n\) while current is 7.5mA

Since, as I read it, the technology at \(0.2V_{DD}\) allows 7.5mA with that same \(k'_n\)

That's my shot in the dark, it's been a while since college, and there are several statements intermixed with questions in that little paragraph they show.

Are the terms or methods of deriving \(K'_n\) and \( \frac{W}{L}\) defined somewhere on that same page outside of this question?

jegues

Joined Sep 13, 2010
I believe you are to work the given answer backwards from the end where it is stated that \(k^'_n=\frac{115\mu A}{V^2} @V_{DD}=2.5V\)

Make a simultaneous equation to find \((\frac{W}{L})_n\) while current is 7.5mA

Since, as I read it, the technology at \(0.2V_{DD}\) allows 7.5mA with that same \(k'_n\)

That's my shot in the dark, it's been a while since college, and there are several statements intermixed with questions in that little paragraph they show.

Are the terms or methods of deriving \(K'_n\) and \( \frac{W}{L}\) defined somewhere on that same page outside of this question?
Before making equations for W/L I need to show how the equation they've given me comes to be.

That's what I'm trying to figure out before I crunch out W/L.

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
Before making equations for W/L I need to show how the equation they've given me comes to be.

That's what I'm trying to figure out before I crunch out W/L.
I thought (hoped?) that would have been covered in the book or in class.

I guess we need to wait for t_n_k to arrive. :D

t_n_k

Joined Mar 6, 2009
Use the general relationship

\(I_D=\frac{K'W}{L}\[(V_{GS}-V_T)V_{DS} -\frac{V_{DS}^2}{2}\]\)

For the NMOS on state ...

Substitute

\(V_{GS}=V_{DD}, \ V_T=0.2V_{DD}\ & \ V_{DS} =0.1V_{DD}\)

and you should obtain the required relationship.