CM8870 output (Q1-Q4) is 2V only. (Atmega16)

alkgautam

Joined Oct 2, 2016
Hello
I m working on a project related to DTMF. But the 4-bits outputs have maximum of 2V. But when connecting to atmega16. Its not detected as 1.
Because for valid one the input must be > 2.5V.
Please help guys I m facing this problem from quite a long time.
This is my circuit.AnimaCM8870.gif

nerdegutta

Joined Dec 15, 2009
Hi, and welcome to AAC.

I might be wrong, but...

1) Use transistors on each output as a switch. Then you'll need some extra circuitry.

2) Use the atmega16 ADC function, and read the voltage with analogRead. With this option I do not think you need any additional circuitry.

alkgautam

Joined Oct 2, 2016
Hi, and welcome to AAC.

I might be wrong, but...

1) Use transistors on each output as a switch. Then you'll need some extra circuitry.

2) Use the atmega16 ADC function, and read the voltage with analogRead. With this option I do not think you need any additional circuitry.
Thanks for the reply.
for ADC function in the atmega16, Vref is only the input. Also the voltage at the output pins (Q4-Q3) is 2v(approx) const. so if I connect it with ADC function it will give only one value (0-255) corresponding to that reference voltage.

alkgautam

Joined Oct 2, 2016
Actually I need different 4-bits values i.e (Q1, Q2, Q3 Q4) output of the cm8870 and perform specific task as per the output through the micro controller. But due to low voltage its not detecting 1. for example the output is Q4(0), Q3(1), Q2(0) Q1(0) 1 corresponds to 2v and 0 corresponds to 0V. But to perform a specific task the microcontroller is detection all those inputs as 0. Because it will not detect 1 unless it is close to 3v or higher.

Using ADC I will get only one value. also I can connect only one of the Q1, Q2, Q3 Q4. as Vref.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Actually I need different 4-bits values i.e (Q1, Q2, Q3 Q4) output of the cm8870 and perform specific task as per the output through the micro controller. But due to low voltage its not detecting 1. for example the output is Q4(0), Q3(1), Q2(0) Q1(0) 1 corresponds to 2v and 0 corresponds to 0V. But to perform a specific task the microcontroller is detection all those inputs as 0. Because it will not detect 1 unless it is close to 3v or higher.

Using ADC I will get only one value. also I can connect only one of the Q1, Q2, Q3 Q4. as Vref.
What you are observing does not match the datasheet. If the behavior of the chip does not match the datasheet there is literally nothing you can do about it, except find a chip that does. Since this is an obsolete chip, it is unlikely that you obtained it from a reputable source. You either need to find a working chip or come up with an alternate solution.

alkgautam

Joined Oct 2, 2016
What you are observing does not match the datasheet. If the behavior of the chip does not match the datasheet there is literally nothing you can do about it, except find a chip that does. Since this is an obsolete chip, it is unlikely that you obtained it from a reputable source. You either need to find a working chip or come up with an alternate solution.

Actually I ve changed the IC several times its not working though. same problem everytime. Also in my region only cm8870 is avaliable not MT8870 which I could try. In the datasheet they say that Voh is 4.97V (max). But I m sill gettingcm8870.PNG 2V :(.

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

Did you measure the output without a load?
The datasheet says that it should be 4 Volts with a load of higher than 100K Ohms.

Bertus

alkgautam

Joined Oct 2, 2016
I ve tried the circuit on a breadboard. The first thing I did was adding LEDs to check the output. Then I checked the output with led on. It was less than 2V. But whenn I removed the LED and checked again it was still 2V.

Ylli

Joined Nov 13, 2015
Looks like you lifted the circuit directly from the California Micro devices data sheet, so I won't ask you about the circuit. Only thought would be to confirm that Vcc is actually at 5.0 v during operation.

alkgautam

Joined Oct 2, 2016
Looks like you lifted the circuit directly from the California Micro devices data sheet, so I won't ask you about the circuit. Only thought would be to confirm that Vcc is actually at 5.0 v during operation.

yes I vcc is 5v. output from the 7805 voltage regulator.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
If you connected a LED directly to the output it is likely you damaged the chip. You said you changed the chip and it behaves the same. Seems like what you have is a bunch of chips that do not work for one reason or another. What is the purpose of the signal labeled StD? Could it be a Data Strobe? Would you ever expect the data outputs to be High-Impedance or Tri-Stated? How about showing us the full circuit instead of some cartoon version.

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
If your circuit matches the schematic and your device does not do what the datasheet says then as Papabravo said, either your datasheet is broken or your device is broken.

But if you still desperate to see it work, you can try a level shifting circuit, which should be pretty simple given that it is a low speed signal. For example, you could try using a pair of dual voltage comparators to detect the signal level and convert it to the full swing necessary for the controller to "see" it. Alternatively you can try using an ATMEGA16L at 2.7 volts or an ATMEGA168 at 2 volts.

By the way, do any of the outputs go to 4.7 volts or higher?

alkgautam

Joined Oct 2, 2016
If you connected a LED directly to the output it is likely you damaged the chip. You said you changed the chip and it behaves the same. Seems like what you have is a bunch of chips that do not work for one reason or another. What is the purpose of the signal labeled StD? Could it be a Data Strobe? Would you ever expect the data outputs to be High-Impedance or Tri-Stated? How about showing us the full circuit instead of some cartoon version.
the StD just goes high whenever a valid dtmf tone is detected and the output pins are latched to the 4-bits binary. Or say it keeps blinking till u send a dtmf tone.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
If as you say StD is an output, then please tell me what allows the data lines to go into or out of a high impedance state?