Cluess newbies

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by spinnaker, Feb 1, 2015.

1. spinnaker

Thread Starter AAC Fanatic!

Oct 29, 2009
    Yeah another rant on clueless newbies.
    [rant]

I noticed today that Bertus had to break out at least two posts into new threads where the OP hijacked a similar thread. In addition the post asked about a problem but offered no detail as to the problem.

How can new forum members be so clueless to forum etiquette? It is not like out rules are unique to forums or forums just recently came on to the scene. How can one be so clueless as to not figure out how to create a new thread?

And then there is the question. No information. My theroy there is that the poster's English is so poor they can barely ask a simple question let alone describe the problem. My question is that if their English is so poor, how do they expect to understand the answer?

[/rant]

2. Brownout

Jan 10, 2012
    My question is, how can so many long time members be so clueless? Why are so many thread hijacked for politics despite a "no politics" policy?

panic mode likes this.

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    Yes, noobs can be annoying, but I was a noob when I arrived here and made about half the usual noob mistakes. My solution is, "Don't log in unless you're feeling charitable". Trying to answer noobs when I am annoyed or impatient is a losing proposition for both of us.

4. cmartinez

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 17, 2007
    No one's born knowing electronics, and some people were not bred on the art of etiquette by their parents... I think the important thing about any newbie is how strongly he's willing to do his part, admit his mistakes, and work hard at improving his skills...
    As to their english being poor... that's yet another area worth working hard at. Not all of us were born in an english-speaking family...
    But yes... sometimes a question posted by a newbie is redacted so poorly that an answer like: "I don't get s**t of what you're saying, please call your mamma and ask her to write it down for you before re-posting" is a very tempting one...

EDIT: Speaking of good english... no offense, but I'm sure you intended to type "Clueless" instead of "Cluess" :D

Last edited: Feb 1, 2015
  5. bertus

Administrator

Apr 5, 2008
  6. spinnaker

Oct 29, 2009
    I guess I ain't speaking no good English neither. ;)

No I don't care about the typos nor the poor English. I am talking about the posts where it is barely a sentence. My guess posted through google translate or some such thing. Fine at least some times for a couple of sentences but usually does not do well for more complex content.

And no problem at all with the level of some else's electronics knowledge level. Hell my is horrible when it comes to analog. But it does not take a great knowledge in a subject to present your problem in a concise way.

7. Kermit2

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 5, 2010
    I will confess to being sarcastic and demeaning to some noob posters.
    probably just in a mood or aching back acting up, but, I am trying to be polite and helpful where I can.
    Thought I'd throw that out there and see if confession is good for the soul or something.

cmartinez likes this.
  8. cmartinez

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 17, 2007
    There's no doubt about it... admitting one's weaknesses or mistakes IS good for the soul... if it's done in front of the right people.

panic mode likes this.
  9. cmartinez

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 17, 2007
    Now we have something in common...

It takes a lifetime of practice before most of us can master the art of efficient (and effective) communication... and I ain't finished learning that one yet...

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    No information at all doesn't work, but some of them post 500 words and more. I simply assume that if you can't define your problem in less than 500 words, you don't know what your problem is and you probably wouldn't understand my answer. So, that's the other end of the spectrum.

Wouldn't it be lovely if we only had polite, intelligent, at least partially competent questions?

LMAO!

cmartinez likes this.
  11. Sinus23

Sep 7, 2013
    As a noob and having English as my second language. For me it´s easier to notice typos and grammatical errors in something someone else has written.

I think it has to do with the speed of thought Vs speed of typing. At least in my case :(

shortbus and cmartinez like this.
  12. cmartinez

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 17, 2007
    I can relate to that...

Sinus23 likes this.
  13. cmartinez

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 17, 2007
    The key to good communication is..... brevity

PackratKing likes this.

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    and the key to brevity is actually knowing what you want!

15. cmartinez

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 17, 2007
    One would imagine that's the easiest thing for anyone to answer... but in reality I've seen lives ruined by people that never figure what they want out of their own life...

16. tcmtech

Nov 4, 2013
    Do you have any idea how bored I would get with that? o_O

cmartinez likes this.
  17. cmartinez

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 17, 2007
    That's another interesting thing... I like spiking my work here and there with humor (mostly harmless one) to keep things light among associates, customers and suppliers... the trick is not to over do it in a way that would make you look unprofessional... I don't like working with people that have no light side... and trust me, I've met a few.

18. spinnaker

Oct 29, 2009

I agree too much information can be just as bad. Worse if they don't use paragraph.

19. cmartinez

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 17, 2007
    Or proper punctuation and spacing... I leave that to James Joyce's Ulysses and his "flow of thought" technique...

20. GopherT

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 23, 2012
    • I would have written a shorter letter, but I did not have the time.
    -Blaise Pascal

In other words, brevity takes effort!

atferrari and cmartinez like this.