Cloning sata hard disc to larger

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by Dodgydave, Jul 2, 2013.

1. Dodgydave

Thread Starter Distinguished Member

Jun 22, 2012
    Ok having searched Google and got confused over different programmes,i have a laptop with a 160g hd, and running win7 32bit, i want to put everything onto a 500g hd sata, and install it in the laptop and hey presto it boots up and runs as normal with the bigger hd. What software do i need to download with the easiest method.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2013
  2. t06afre

AAC Fanatic!

May 11, 2009
  3. tshuck

Oct 18, 2012
    I know PartedMagic could do this, though I'm not sure which tool... Perhaps Clonezilla?

I've heard of some people using the demo for Acronis TrueImage to backup and restore to the new hard drive, but haven't done that personally...

4. studiot

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 9, 2007
    Well first matter to sort out is how you will have both Hdrives running at once to make the copy.

Once you have done this, just just create and format a new windows 7 partition on the new drive - windows tools will do this - and then highlight the old partition, choose Ctrl+A, Ctrl+C and paste it to the new one with Ctrl+V.

Come back after 2 beers and your new copy of windows should be replaceable in your laptop.

I have done this many times, it works well.

Dodgydave likes this.
  5. Dodgydave

Jun 22, 2012
    i will be using a usb hd caddy

6. studiot

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 9, 2007
    Well there you go.

What I am suggesting is basically to copy every file from the old to the new.

Windows will grumble about the new drive when you first boot it, but startup repair will sort that out for you.

7. cork_ie

Oct 8, 2011
    Most HDD manufacturers' supply free utility programs that include cloning software.They are easy to download on the makers website. Generally they allow you to clone ONLY to a new HDD of their brand - they don't care whose older drive you are replacing. For example, Seagate has Disk Wizard, and WD has a WD only version of Acronis True image

8. Dodgydave

Jun 22, 2012
    Sorted it used Macruim Reflect it works a treat !