Clock frequency

Discussion in 'Embedded Systems and Microcontrollers' started by patheticz, Nov 3, 2009.

1. patheticz

Thread Starter New Member

Nov 3, 2009
    How do i generate a clock frequency for a FPGA chip?
    beside using a crystal

2. Papabravo

Expert

Feb 24, 2006
    I dunno -- What are your requirements for frequency, stability, accuracy et cetra. How can we answer your questions if you fail to supply any information?

3. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
    Get a TTL or CMOS oscillator. Mouser and Digi-Key carry a wide selection.

Here is a link to a manufacturer so you can get an idea of the frequencies available - most are standard -http://www.well.com/~oe/OscFreqs.html

4. Papabravo

Expert

Feb 24, 2006
    You can also use a PLL, divider, and a VFO

5. patheticz

Nov 3, 2009
    Sorry for the lack of information
    First of all, the query arose because i am designing an embedded controller for a a power switching module that is supposed to be able to function at swtiching freq of at least 10kHz.
    then i was looking through the specification sheet and realized that the Virtex 5 and virtex 6 FPGA can operate at 400MHz -1000MHz.
    Therefore, i was not sure what methods can i use to generate signal for the clock if i am going to use either of the FPGA

6. Papabravo

Expert

Feb 24, 2006
    Those frequencies are maximums. There is absolutely nothing that says you have to operate at such frequencies. In any case the way you genrate 10 kHz from a crystal or other type of oscillator is to pick a convenient frequency and divide it down.

7. auri_z

Feb 5, 2009
    it depend your requiments,if you need stability use crystal if not oscilator from some R and C can make it..

8. patheticz

Nov 3, 2009
    i am a bit confused here.
    does that mean by having an oscillator of 10kHz, i can also generate frequency that is higher than that?

9. Nanophotonics

Apr 2, 2009
    No, you always generate a lower clock frequency from a higher one.

10. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004