Clipping in inverting amplifier.

analog_rex

Joined Dec 11, 2008
Hi,
I have a question which may be a very simple one. An inverting amplifier clips the input waveform when the feedback resistance is increased. Why does it happen? What can be done to avoid this problem?

Please give me some links to refer if you can. Thanks in advance.

Cheers

Last edited:

analog_rex

Joined Dec 11, 2008
Hi,

I am using pspice to do a transient simulation of this circuit. Vin is an input sinusoidal source with f=1kHz, Amp.=1V. Rin is 1K. The value of Rf is increased from 10K to 15K and the output was plotted. At 15K the output starts to clip. Why does this happen and what can i do to avoid this? Please find the circuit diagram in the kink below.

http://www.seas.upenn.edu/~ese205/Labs06/Lab5_files/image016.gif

thanks

Last edited:

DrNick

Joined Dec 13, 2006
You are saturating the op-amp. Typically the output of an op-amp circuit can only go up to Vcc-1, and Vee+1 (approximatly). When you increase Rf, the gain of your circuit increases, the output signal will get bigger and bigger until the output saturates at about Vcc-1. To prevent this, ensure that your maximum signal level times your gain (Rf/Rin) will always be less than Vcc-1.

analog_rex

Joined Dec 11, 2008
Thank you for the reply. :)

Taking the query further, let the values of Rin and Rf be 1k and 15k. At these values of Rin and Rf, the opamp gets saturated. I want to know if there is some way to avoid the saturation of opamp without changing the values of Rin and Rf? For example, by adding an additional component or circuitry.

It will also be very helpful if you can suggest some links to refer and study about it. I did search online but I could hardly find useful links.

Thanks and warm regards

Last edited:

DrNick

Joined Dec 13, 2006
Use larger Vcc and Vee (i.e. use higher voltage for the opamp supplies). Be sure not to increase it above the rated value of the opamp. For instance if you are applying a +1V pk-pk sine wave and have a gain of 15 (Rf = 15k, Ri = 1k), use +10V for Vcc and -10V for Vee.

silvrstring

Joined Mar 27, 2008
I don't know why you don't want to change the values of Rf and Rin, but if adding components is okay, you could just throw some more resistance on the Rin side. Gain is -Rf/Rin. You need to bring it down.