Climate change

Is Climate change a threat that concens you

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ronv

Joined Nov 12, 2008
This would probably only take a few hours to get pulled as political, so how about just a poll. :D

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
I don't see it as a political topic so long as the people who participate in it actually back their claims for or against things with real data and not just what ever definition of a term or condition the feel like pulling out their butt at the time.

Now my stance is where I live the changes in our regional climate have been hugely positive and whether or not us humans caused all of it some of it or none of it I don't care. I just want things to continue on as they are now or improve even more if nature so feels inclined to do so here. :cool:

Oh yea as sea level changes go I need to see about 1629 feet more rise before I start to get concerned. :p

Last edited:

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
Who determined what the climate is supposed to be? Hasn't our little ball of rock repeatedly frozen and thawed long before humans started walking and talking? I'm not to worried about a plant food molecule that is measured in hundreds of parts per million. POLLUTION by other chemical compounds is a much more likely source of global catastrophic change. So no, I am not concerned with CO2 levels.

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
I do not get concerned when the vast majority of the measuring devices in the U.S. Climate Reporting Network have a tolerance of +/- 5C, not counting installation problems, and the "global scare" is an increase of about 1C. I am concerned about the political funding of such a best guess.

tjohnson

Joined Dec 23, 2014
In answer to the original question: No, it happens every year. In the winter the climate becomes frigid and in the summer it gets hot.:D

Last edited:

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
Taking a very long term view of the climate, about 4.6 billion years ago it was hot, in about 4.6 billion years it will be even hotter for a while then .................

When talking of climate change we should state the period over which we are measuring the change.

The UK was under a mile of ice about 15,000 yrs ago, so the climate has changed since that time.
Records for weather in the UK started about 200 yrs or so, in the last 20 years we have broken all records for the last 200 yrs.

Its all relative, do I worry about climate change, No.

Do I worry how we are cra**ing up our home planet for our kids, Yes.

Eric

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
So what conditions exactly do our next generations have to deal with that are not already present and found to be highly habitable by people some where now?

Ambient day time temps of 120+ F with heat indexes over 150F? Millions live in that sort of climates now.

Huge storms and rain fall? Well millions of people in the equatorial regions live thought at now without problems.

Sub zero F winter time temps for months or more? Well I live though it just fine.

Self induced famines, shortages of what ever you can think of caused entirely by political issues. We've been living through that for centuries already.

AS for peoples ability to adapt well my wife is from Turkey and at first she complained about how cold it is here in North Dakota and how she missed Turkeys hot climate. Now this week she is back in Turkey and they are having daily temps of 100 - 110 F and she is hating it bigtime! :D

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
When talking of climate change we should state the period over which we are measuring the change.
I agree with the statement, however, we haven't been recording temperatures for the last 4.5 billion years. Those are estimates. The same for the NEXT 4.5 billion years.

I don't like the position of we must take action now because the worst case scenario .15 billion generations from now might be affected. I would think by the next million generations, we would be exploring ... live ... other galaxies, and the earth, no matter what disasters happen, will be a footnote in the annuls of history.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I hope that new climate dries my underwear faster.
I haven't had to run from a Hurricane since Katrina (2005). If that is caused by Global Warming, I'm all for it. :)

If the day comes when I have to chase the fish out of my house, I'll probably change my opinion. :(

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
I didn't see a poll choice for "well, maybe, but, ..." so I picked "yes"- now let me explain
Is Climate change a threat ...
Undecided. To me at this point it seems to be a threat in the same way that a back yard full of mosquitoes is a threat. But give me 40 years to gather data and have a more informed opinion.
...that concerns you?
There's at least 2 definitions of "concerns"; I'm not too worried about it, but it does affect me. (the latter is how I initially read the question, and what I based my answer on).

If East Texas turns into West Texas (or into the Gulf of Mexico) I'll move to Colorado just as it's turning into East Texas.

ronv

Joined Nov 12, 2008
Taking a very long term view of the climate, about 4.6 billion years ago it was hot, in about 4.6 billion years it will be even hotter for a while then .................

The UK was under a mile of ice about 15,000 yrs ago, so the climate has changed since that time.
Records for weather in the UK started about 200 yrs or so, in the last 20 years we have broken all records for the last 200 yrs.

Its all relative, do I worry about climate change, No.

Do I worry how we are cra**ing up our home planet for our kids, Yes.

Eric
Good way to put it Eric. I doubt it will mean much to any of us - except maybe #12's property value.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
If East Texas turns into West Texas (or into the Gulf of Mexico) I'll move to Colorado just as it's turning into East Texas.
I doubt it will mean much to any of us - except maybe #12's property value.
Not to worry. I have 30 acres in Kentucky where Tracecom will be my neighbor. :)
That's where I go when hurricanes threaten.
My philosophy is: Have good insurance and run like a hurricane is behind you. :eek:
Of course, I don't have Sea Level insurance, so I'll just run to the old family farm and try to remember how to speak Hillbilly.

Challenge and Response of the locals:
"Reckon it's gonna rain?"
"It always has."

But, seriously, those old farmers have a level of wisdom that is perfectly valid. Most of them simply don't have the vocabulary I need to understand them. (HP would be rode out of town on a rail.):D

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.