clicking noise from automatic sliding gate operator pcb.

xchcui

Joined May 12, 2014
Hello.

I have a sliding gate operator,C.E.M brand,as in the attached photo.
Last week i change the 4A fuse in the PCB,since it burned out while there was a
voltage surge.
After changing the fuse,the sliding gate operator works fine.
When i press the remote control button-the gate is opened and closed smooth and fine.
But while the gate is in moving(either in close motion or in open motion),the PCB has
a constant clicking sound(like a relay sound)as long as the gate is in moving state.
This was the first time that i noticed the clicking sound,since the PCB was without its cover.
And i was checking the gate movement,while the operator was dismantled.(without its cover).
After i installed back its cover,the clicking sound was less noticeable.
So,i don't know if this sound indicates a proper and normal operation of the PCB
(which i,just,didn't hear,while it was covered),
or this indicates a fail PCB?

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

xchcui

Joined May 12, 2014
There is no doubt that adding a picture of the pcb would be a lot more useful.(as i usually do)
But i had already assembled the operator,since it works ok.there is no point to open it again.
And at this case,opposed to other cases,i assumed that the clicking noise is normal for that operator.(but i am not 100% sure).
So,i just would like to know,if this clicking sound is part of a normal operator pcb behavior.
If there is someone who has experience with those operator,it will be more simple.
The pcb has 3 transparent relays:
The first one change its state when the gate is closing.(go back to its previous state when the gate stops)
The second one change its state when the gate is opening.(go back to its previous state when the gate stops)
The third one change its state together,when the gate is closing or opening(go back to its previous state several seconds after the gate stops).
I had followed them(since they are transparent)and they were keeping their state without clicking constantly.
There is another relay,smaller and opaque.I don't know what its purpose and it is very difficult to know if the clicking came from it.
I measured the consumption of the motor and it was ok.0.8A as in the data sheet.
As i mentioned before,i just need a confirmation from someone that has experience with automatic gate operators,if this is a normal behavior of them.

xchcui

Joined May 12, 2014
I gave information far beyond what should be necessarily.
I assume that asking:
"Is it normal that the automatic sliding gate operator making clicking sound when the gate is moving?"
was enough for someone who familiar with those PCB,to answer my question.But,i guess,that anyone else that have alot of experience with electronic components and motors may be able to answer that.
Anyone?

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
For one, I would not expect a 'clicking' sound from this type of operator, a relay would normally be picked up until the operation was completed, if you have concerns then the normal procedure would be to investigate further and not leave it to speculation.
If you observed the noise with the cover removed I would have thought it an opportunity to pin it down to a particular area or component at that time?
Max.

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
Like Max, I would expect there to be no clicking while the gate is in motion: only when it reaches the end of its travel.
It's possible that the circuit switches off the supply to the actuator if it senses over-current, in which case excessive friction in the drive mechanism could be the cause of the problem.

xchcui

Joined May 12, 2014
Ok.lets say that the constant clicking come from one of the relays.
Shouldn't the gate malfunction and behave abnormal?

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
There is not enough evidence at this point to form a hypothesis as to what is happening!
It would have to be compared to an original installation as to what is 'Normal'.
You don't show your country of origin so it may be that this controller is rare to most of the audience here, therefore the chances of an informed answer could be rare.
Max.

KJ6EAD

Joined Apr 30, 2011
If there's a piezo transducer (beeper) on the board, they sometimes fail in this manner. The other various possible non-relay sources of the noise will usually reveal themselves by failing completely in short order. o_O

xchcui

Joined May 12, 2014
...The other various possible non-relay sources of the noise will usually reveal themselves by failing completely in short order. o_O
I guess that this is what i left to do.Since i don't have another operator to compare between them.
Thanks for your replies.