clearing a fault, using a schmitt trigger a mosfet and a mechanical switch

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
The OP has convinced me to give him another shot. We are going to need to know the final application of this circuit please.

newbieateverything

Joined Feb 25, 2013
automobile application
this is for my thesis the application is not specified
the voltage range is 0-20
current rage 0-5
since a breadboard can only take 5A

newbieateverything

Joined Feb 25, 2013
omg!! i haven't read the terms of service sorry
no application then
i really am just supposed to build a circuit breaker no application required at all

Ron H

Joined Apr 14, 2005
You must in the future give your design constraints in the first couple of posts !. This is the first time saying "I am REQUIRED to use a Schmitt trigger"! If you had said that in the beginning you would have saved a lot of time, yours and mine!

Here's around 23,700 answers to the question - https://www.google.com/search?q=sch...87,d.aWc&fp=49428f98d57244d1&biw=1010&bih=624
Your circuit has zero threshold (it will switch when current≈0), and, if it DID have a threshold, would need hysteresis to prevent oscillations when current is at threshold.
Hysteresis => Schmitt trigger.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
I found the comparator part of the circuit in a few books on power electronics. The same circuit was shown in all of them as a basic building block. And I do agree with the hysteresis, but since this is a home work/school project, shouldn't some of it be left up to the OP?

newbieateverything

Joined Feb 25, 2013
can't see any examples for dual supply
only single supply please help
yes it is my work but i am on the forum to get help

for single i can get trigger points of 0.43 for lower and 1.79 for upper.
using
25k/R= 0.43/15-1.79

then R1/R= 0.43/1.79-0.43

i get R as 770 and R1 as 800.

however due to the dual nature of my supply, my trigger lower trigger point falls to - which it shouldn't.

So it isn't like i am sitting on my hands @shortbus, i just would appreciate some help

Attachments

Last edited:

Ron H

Joined Apr 14, 2005
can't see any examples for dual supply
only single please help
yes it is my work but i am on the forum to get help
If I had a clear idea of what you are trying to do, I would help design a circuit for you. You have a communication problem. I know you are trying to make a circuit breaker, but I don't know what the circuit looks like that needs to be protected. If you would post the unprotected circuit, and some idea of what might cause a fault, instead of always including your attempt at a solution, it might help.

newbieateverything

Joined Feb 25, 2013
If I had a clear idea of what you are trying to do, I would help design a circuit for you. You have a communication problem. I know you are trying to make a circuit breaker, but I don't know what the circuit looks like that needs to be protected. If you would post the unprotected circuit, and some idea of what might cause a fault, instead of always including your attempt at a solution, it might help.
i include my attempt at a solution to show that i am not just sitting on my hands.

i am not attempting to protect a circuit. I am simply trying to protect the load.

The load is a 200 ohm resistor in parallel with a 5 ohm resistor.

what causes the fault is when the the mechanical switch in series with this 5 ohm resistor closes.

the total load resistance becomes 4.87...

my supply is 20V, therefore total current when switch closes is 4.1A VS when the switch is open 0.1A

4.1 is the fault current.

I really hope this is clear. Please remember, the breaker is to simply protect my resistors. Thats is all.

thank you.

Ron H

Joined Apr 14, 2005
i include my attempt at a solution to show that i am not just sitting on my hands.

i am not attempting to protect a circuit. I am simply trying to protect the load.

The load is a 200 ohm resistor in parallel with a 5 ohm resistor.

what causes the fault is when the the mechanical switch in series with this 5 ohm resistor closes.

the total load resistance becomes 4.87...

my supply is 20V, therefore total current when switch closes is 4.1A VS when the switch is open 0.1A

4.1 is the fault current.

I really hope this is clear. Please remember, the breaker is to simply protect my resistors. Thats is all.

thank you.
That's pretty clear. What causes the switch to close?

Ron H

Joined Apr 14, 2005
And should the circuit breaker leave the current flowing through the 200Ω resistor, should it interrupt ALL the current?

newbieateverything

Joined Feb 25, 2013
And should the circuit breaker leave the current flowing through the 200Ω resistor, should it interrupt ALL the current?
yes it should interrupt all of the current.
and yes it should leave the current flowing through the 200Ω

i actually got it to work on simulation exactly how i wanted it to, by replacing my N channel mosfet with a p channel mosfet. I have no idea why it works with a P channel mosfet and not an N channel mosfet.

praondevou

Joined Jul 9, 2011
You are saying:
- there is always current through the 200R
- when closing the switch that would put the 5R resistor in parallel with the 200R resistor you want to interrupt the current through the 5R resistor

This doesn't make sense. Cut the wire to the 5R resistor and there will never be current through it. That can't be what you want.

What other requirements are there?

Every project begins with a complete definition of what happens when, in all details.

Ron H

Joined Apr 14, 2005
Those two statements are not consistent. Leaving current flowing through the 200Ω resistor is NOT interrupting all the current. Can you see why your posts are so confusing?

i actually got it to work on simulation exactly how i wanted it to, by replacing my N channel mosfet with a p channel mosfet. I have no idea why it works with a P channel mosfet and not an N channel mosfet.
So our work is done?