cleaning ?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Mathematics!, May 28, 2012.

1. Mathematics!

Thread Starter Senior Member

Jul 21, 2008
    I am currently trying to clean my place up the best I can.
    (i.e I want to get it as clean as I can super clean and organized )

These are some of the problems I am having so far with cleaning

1) I have a toilet bowl that is really old and I can't get that ring around the toilet boil out. I have hidden it in the passed by using those blue toilet boil cleaner tablets. Though since I want this place to be immaculately clean it is still bothering me. As well as some of the bath tub but less so for this.

I believe the materials are porcelain and I haven't found anything that work quite yet.
    Other then replacing or using some epoxy dangerous chemical to refurbish/repaint it.

2)
    What is the best cleaning agent that I can get to easily remove grease stains on painted dry wall surfaces. The grease looks like a yellowish color there is not a lot of it but in one certain area near the stove appliances there is.

I know I can repaint/sand down though I don't want to go through the trouble of painting an entire room just to get grease off a wall.
    Note at that particular wall area it is fairly thick tried steal wool that made it worse.
    Though cleaning the oven with steal wool and oven cleaner spray worked like a god-sent.

3) Those 2 above questions are my main problem but also am curious about these last items that I clean very successfully usually but would want your take on what you think is the best stuff to use to clean these items/appliances.

1) wood staines on finished and non finished wood products like tables chairs , dressers,...etc

2) fabric staines on couches , sofa chairs ,... and other fabric based furniture

3) plastic stains on plastic based items currently I just use an SOS pad with soap water and find that this is the best way but you may have a different opinion... also sometimes I use a bleach based cleaner.

4) metal stains on metal based items mostly in the form of rust ?

5) glass stains on glass based items I normally use windex or rainx or soapy water but curious if you guys have any thing different in mind.
    Also curious if you could use rainx to clean your glass you drink out of I would think not and just use soap for drink wear obviously... Though I wasn't sure if you wash them after it would be ok.

These questions all pertain mostly in my case for the home though if some of your cleaning methods work more generally for outdoor products that is cool to but focus on products/cleaning methods within a place like a home,apartment , or building.

Last edited: May 28, 2012
  2. nerdegutta

Dec 15, 2009
    If the grease has been on the wall for long, and you've already tried to remove it, I don't think you can remove it. Then you have lots of options. Two of them are, either paint only that wall. Try with a different color, to spice up the room, or cover it with a painting....

3. 1chance

Nov 26, 2011
    Toothpaste with baking soda will remove crayon or lipstick marks from walls. If you repaint, you will need to put some kilz on the wall first or the stain will bleed through.

4. Mathematics!

Jul 21, 2008
    Ok , if I am going to paint it do I first have to sand the grease off then paint or just paint over. Just wondering if there will be in adhesive problem if I don't sand and prep first?

Also what about the bathroom based stuff like the toilet ring, some of the bathroom tiles/tub issues?

5. Sparky49

Jul 16, 2011
    re the painting, you'll need to de grease.

Strip everything down. Sand it. Prime it. Paint it with a roller. Mask the skirting boards. Put some time into it and you won't regret it. :)

As for the loo,

6. t06afre

AAC Fanatic!

May 11, 2009
    Who is lucky girl ;):p
    Maybe I should have dated math teachers more often. Lipstick mark from the walls! I have clearly missed something here about math teachers. And to you 1chance. Take a look at albums. Or search my profile at the dating agency. My user name is "The WILD thing (you make my heart sing...)"

7. Mathematics!

Jul 21, 2008
    Why does cleaning your place ultimately imply the many purpose is a new girl friend ?

Anyway I do do that in that case as well... Most people would and you would also do it to impress any body that is coming over to see your place like a Realtor ,..etc.

Anyway thanks for the advice on the painting that was the method I was leaning towards.

Anything for the bathroom appliances tiles , toilet bowl, ..etc
    These seem like the only way is to refurbish or replace with new... though I am not sure if there is a less extreme measure ...

Since alot of the chemicals I have tried for these aren't really successful they do clean it a little bit but there is still alot more to go that it isn't.

8. Sparky49

Jul 16, 2011
    Clean it using Bi-carb.

9. Mathematics!

Jul 21, 2008
    Is that something I can pick up locally at a home depot or something.
    And I am not to sure yet if the problem is caused by hardwater , copper residue , mold/mildew , or another thing a can think of at the moment.

So the procedure could be different.

I have tried mostly any bleach based agency with little success , even baking soda , nothing yet with a firm scrubing brush.

Another minor issue I have was some dishes / utensils no matter how many times I scrub and wash them look as if they have still stains or grease deposits on them. I am trying to make them look like they where as close to brand new as possible. Is there anything I can do to make them look see thru / spotless/ shine again?
    I am concerned mostly about the utensils (i,e forks , knives , spoons , cooking utensils and some eating ware )

Though the stainless steel forks , knives , spoons to some extent are the main problem mostly everything else is fine other then a few plastic cups ,...etc

Basically if I can fix the bathroom appliances and the cooking/kitchen stuff back to day one I will be all set everything else is pretty much immaculate so other then a few outdoor things that have rust on them which I plan on trying vinegar , coke , ...other techniques I find on google.

10. Sparky49

Jul 16, 2011
    Bi-carbonate of soda.

Try using vinegar or lemon juice if it's hardwater related, it should come right.

11. amilton542

Nov 13, 2010
  12. 1chance

Nov 26, 2011
    Sorry, but I'm happily involved with a wonderfully sweet totally nerdy guy and that's all I'm going to say about that!:D:rolleyes:

Mathematics--apply kilz after normal cleaning. Read the label for further instructions and note that there are a number of varieties of it targeting specific problems. As far as the other stains, I'll go look for my Hints from Heliose book in a little while and see what she has to say. And I'll look for my Keeping House book that my great great grandmother bought off a traveling salesman (the guys that had a horse drawn wagon with everything but a kitchen sink) in 1880, but it has some drastic remedies like drinking turpentine for whooping cough.

13. Mathematics!

Jul 21, 2008
    I knew somebody like this but not as drastic but **** what some people will put up with or let things get to...

And my parents always thought I was bad if they would every see this they would probably have a heart attack.
    Then again there place is pretty immaculate and I have been know on rare occasions to surprise them with cleanliness

But I never could have thought people would let things get this bad.

Jesus....

But I have tried baking soda already on the toilet I will try harder again no luck so far :(

Or are you refering to baking soda for the dishware because I can see this working will try tonight does work on everything I tried dishware so far nice

Its probably works because CHO3 carbonic acid based

what lemon juice should I get are your refering to a straight lemon or some lemon concentrate...
    I know regular lemonade is probably a bad choice because they add tons of sugar to it which will make another cleaning job after that

14. Markd77

Sep 7, 2009
    For the toilet bowl, try a limescale removing bleach (contains hydrochloric acid). Leave it for a while. If that doesn't work, repeat and then use one of those abrasive plastic scrubbers, obviously while wearing thick rubber gloves which go quite a way up the arm and probably eye protection to be on the safe side.
    My toilet was pretty bad when I moved in.

15. amilton542

Nov 13, 2010
    Tell me about it.

It happens.

Some hot water, quick squirt of bleach, a brillo-pad and a garnish of elbow grease should do the trick.

Consult your local cleaner; she will have adept knowledge of the periodic table.

Not a good idea.

16. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    There is a treatment for toilets called an acid bath. It is what it sounds like. I did it to mine for the first time in 30+ years, it took several days, and one stubborn spot shrunk but never went away. However, it was effective, all the marks except that one did go away. You can buy it from Walmart or hardware stores, it is basically high concentrate hydrochloric acid, gloves and care must be used. I also bought a couple of wooden dowels that were meant to be disposed of by me to help scrape the marks off. The acid does not eat the porcelain. It is a commercial product designed for the use, I first saw it being used at my job.

After I flushed it I made it a point to flush several times, even if I was just renewing the liquid. I really did not want this stuff in my pipes.

The toilets really do look much, much better though.

17. 1chance

Nov 26, 2011
    Just a thought--what kind of sewer system do you have? If you have a septic tank or lagoon, you do not want this flushed into it. Make sure that whatever you use is safe for the septic system. Also, rinsing well as not to leave stuff in your pipes (as BillMarsden mentioned) is a must do.

18. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    Glad to hear back from you girl.

Yeah, you can probably tell this is a once a generation cleaning product.

In my case it is a city sewage system.

19. maxpower097

Feb 20, 2009
    Clorox and brillo pads. Take it right off.

20. Mathematics!

Jul 21, 2008
    Ok, I am going to try to clean the last of the bathroom tomorrow.
    Does all these methods also apply to the bath tub I would imagine not?
    Also for tiles are there any hope... I have used a brush to clean the cocking and grout / tiles it works for the most part..

Though I would like to get it as close to perfect as possible.

Question 2
    So Back soda and a little elbow grease did the trick for all dishware. So now the kitchen is totally done except for the floor.

If I can some how get the floor close to perfect then I would really almost have a perfect kitchen. My problem is this floor is linoleum and originally when I moved in awhile ago it had stains that where already there.

I don't know if there is some magic way to make this floor perfect again apart from tearing it up and glue/install new linoleum flooring...
    It is to bad the floor isn't laminate or wood these to me are a little easier to maintain. So I may be stuck with this and some of the last bathroom stuff.

Actually my parent which are immaculate about there cleaning have one of there rooms with linoleum glue down flooring that particular floor has major staines not from sloppiness just from a particular rug that was in front of a glass door and some how melted to the floor or something no one really knows but the floor was installed in 95ish so its due for a new floor...

Currently my parents got smart and made it easier on there selfs and installed hardwood and pero (laminate floor) in all rooms.

Me personally rugs and linoleum I think should just be replace because it is a fairly cheap expense ... but am curious if any floor experts out there say different....

I have in the passed installed linoleum floors and rug floors with laminate floors. So I pretty much could install linoleum floors with new linoleum if needed to if there was no other way to clean it which I don't think there is on some of these stains.

Basically it is the linoleum floor in the kitchen that is always the trouble one... As for the bathroom and rug floors in the other rooms they where newly installed a couple of years agos they look great/brand new...

currently this is an apartment so I really cann't do it by myself at least not the major stuff without violating my lease
    even though I could physically if allowed. Most of these last minute this or getting these last things perfect are because once I get into the cleaning mode I want to make it perfect (don't want to stop until I have reach the limit kind of thing which I am sure some expert cleaners can relate to.)

Either way I guess minimally I would settle if the toilet was fully stain out ...
    And the other things are pretty much picky stuff just to see how clean I can get it though I don't want to start spending fortunes on cleaning products either... so I give me self until this Wednesday to fully complete this cleaning and organizing process... I have to say most people would think it is pretty clean already.

as for
    I think it is just PVC all the way out to the main sewer drains in the street which I am betting are either cement with pvc / polymer based substances.
    Though I am not going to get crazy with chemicals either...
    I may try the limestone stuff because the bleach based products so far haven't worked yet.