Cleaning out my Garage

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Wendy, Jun 27, 2008.

1. Wendy

Thread Starter Moderator

Mar 24, 2008
    I'm in the process of doing a much overdo cleaning out of my garage. I have some really old tech magazines, such as the original and later editions of Popular Electronics and Radio Electronics, along with some old computer magazines such a Byte and Compute!.

What is AACs policy concerning offering these for the cost of shipping (which would be substantial, I have a lot of mags, but I would be willing to part em out). Otherwise a lot of history is going in the trash.

2. Dave

Retired Moderator

Nov 17, 2003
    So essentially you offering the magazines for free, but the condition is that whoever wants them must provide the means for obtaiing them (e.g shipping costs or otherwise?)

Dave

3. studiot

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 9, 2007
    I remember reading some of these when I worked in Saudi, years back. They had some really good stuff in them. I also liked Popular Mechanics.

I particularly liked the 'can-do - will-try' spirit in them. Contributors who wanted something jolly well rolled up their sleeves and made it.

4. loosewire

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 25, 2008
    Check the P.M. And P.S. on e-bay the price is right.

5. Wendy

Thread Starter Moderator

Mar 24, 2008

Yep, I'm not interested in selling them. I suspect someone will want them, but paper is heavy, and the US Post Office has decided Class D postage (magazines, books, and other media) is not something they care for anymore, which is a pity. I'll provide the boxes, but the cost of postage is an out of pocket expense.

The packrat gene runs strong in my family.

If someone local wants to drive and pick them up they are truely free (but then, gas isn't).

6. studiot

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 9, 2007
    Don't know how it works in Texas but in the UK if we want to 'do good' with things like that we pass them on, either to public service waiting rooms (clinics etc) or to charity shops for them to sell on and use the profits.

7. Wendy

Thread Starter Moderator

Mar 24, 2008
    Truth, the only people who would want magazines like this are fellow techies. Most waiting rooms have current editions that get thrown away after the next editions come out.

8. loosewire

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 25, 2008
    The Fire Ant Festival,in Marshall,Texas no taker's by then will
    p.u. and maybe go to Lodge. Is texas biggeer than U.K. who
    know's their geo.

9. Wendy

Thread Starter Moderator

Mar 24, 2008
    I understood most of that, I think...

Never compared sizes, but I suspect Texas is bigger than most countries. We are the only US state that has the distinction of actually being a country at one time. Of course, a lot of it is scrub, not worth a whole lot, but we are blessed with a wide range of biodiversity and climates. Alaska is bigger, and is pretty underpopulated so far.

What Lodge are you talking about?

10. Dave

Retired Moderator

Nov 17, 2003
    Bill, since this not a commercial endeavour and you merely wish to pass on some electronics resources to others then please feel free to post this up in the GEC.

Dave