Class B audio amplifier: Can I run it with a wallwort?

Romes

Joined Sep 30, 2014
Howdey guys and gals,
I built the circuit in the lesson Volume 6 Experiments and since I am new to building circuitry I waned to know what, if any, modifications would be needed to run this badboy off of a wall wort with a regulator and filter circuit. I was thinking a 12v 500ma?

Thanks in advance for anyhelp.

-Romes

Joined Nov 30, 2010
No can do unless you create a, "fake" ground at the middle of a 12 volt supply and use that for the ground symbols at the inputs of the two op-amps. Both of them require very little current, so you can just use 2 resistors and a capacitor to make the voltage at the middle hold still. Say...10k ohms each with a 10 uf capacitor connected to the most negative voltage of the wall wart.

Got it?

Romes

Joined Sep 30, 2014
Thanks for the quick reply, let me draw up what I think you mean and post it for you to review, about ten minuets.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
No can do unless you create a, "fake" ground at the middle of a 12 volt supply and use that for the ground symbols at the inputs of the two op-amps. Both of them require very little current, so you can just use 2 resistors and a capacitor to make the voltage at the middle hold still. Say...10k ohms each with a 10 uf capacitor connected to the most negative voltage of the wall wart.
You forgot about the speaker ground, which takes a lot of current. For that a common solution is to use a large capacitor in series with the amp output to the speaker. A 1000uF cap will give a -3dB rolloff at 20Hz with an 8 ohm speaker. Connect the plus terminal of the cap to the amp output.

And you need a 24V supply, not a 12V supply unless you want about a factor of four reduction in the maximum output power.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
Haha, got to love spellcheck, anywho, I was thinking, what if I used a transformer and a rectifier to make a +12/-12?
For +/- 12V you need a center-tapped 20V transformer (which gives about +/- 14V peak DC output from the rectifier/filters).

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Oh darn. You caught me again! :(
That speaker is going to cause quite a lot of current. :eek:
Crutschow came up with a method, otherwise you're going to need 2 wall warts to get a proper voltage supply with a good, current carrying ground.

Here's the wrong way:

Attachments

Joined Nov 30, 2010
And, yes, a center tapped transformer with a full wave rectifier and 2 filter capacitors will work, but that's a lot different from a wall wart or two.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Look at my drawing in post #8 and add the capacitor that crutschow described then change the ground on the speaker to v-.

Right crutschow?

I mean, you can't dump all that speaker current into a 10k voltage divider.

Last edited:

Romes

Joined Sep 30, 2014
Ok disregard that last post, can you explain why you say it is the wrong way?
What if the speaker was a 4ohm?

Joined Nov 30, 2010
My drawing did not account for the speaker current.
If the speaker is 4 ohms, double the capacitor to 2200 uf.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
Look at my drawing in post #8 and add the capacitor that crutschow described then change the ground on the speaker to v-.

Right crutschow?
That is correct.

I have an old Dynakit 120 amp (60W/Ch) which uses that output technique that I built many moons ago. Works well and still has a great transparent sound. It was one of the first quality solid-stage audio amps to be sold.

Last edited:

Sensacell

Joined Jun 19, 2012
Just get two wall warts, connect them as a standard split supply- done.

I have been bitten by phantom ground splitters before- hard to make them stiff and stable.
Once I designed this complex audio device with a single supply, and an opamp driven faux ground circuit, it worked great until the client showed up, then the faux ground went into oscillation, I had to wear a bag over my head for a week.

Last edited:

Romes

Joined Sep 30, 2014
Thanks for adding the caps and pots. Your a good man.

Anywho I built the circuit, following the schematic and illustrationhttp://72.135.236.34/shares/USB_Storage/20140930_230731.jpg and all I get is a little hum, and the VR changes volume.
Ill throw up a few pics of the build, and I would really appreciate it if you see anything obviously wrong.
I know that the photos arent going to be too detailed, but I can elaborate it need be.

Again, thanks so much for the effort on your guyes part.

PS: Since posting I did chane the N on the speaker to -V and still nada

Attachments

Last edited: