clamper + rogowski

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by manjuarun, Mar 15, 2010.

1. manjuarun

Thread Starter New Member

Mar 8, 2010
    Is it right way to add an active clamping circuit at the output of rogowski coil inorder to shift the signal level???

2. kkazem

Jul 23, 2009
    HI,
    I have no idea why you would shift the output signal level except to amplify the output. Keep in mind that this is an "AC ONLY" current sensor and will not respond to DC. It should work on a conductor that has AC superimposed on DC, but it will only respond to the AC portion of the current. Also, an active clamp is normally used as a limiter to keep the signal level from the coil from getting too high and damaging your circuitry. It will not level-shift the output. The output from this kind of current sensor is centered around zero-volts. You can level-shift it by using an op-amp or even a zener diode or other level-shift circuit, if you really need to level shift it.
    Good luck.
    Regards,
    Kamran Kazem

3. manjuarun

Thread Starter New Member

Mar 8, 2010
    Kamran Kazem,
    thanks for your reply.My idea is to collect the signal from rogowski coil and amplify + integrate + ADC + Controller. But none of the ADC ( we selected inbuilt adc of PIC micro controller) of our interest accept input.For this purpose I thoght of adding one clamping circuit. My doubt is instead of taking these steps coil + ampr + integrator + filter + clamper + adc + PIC , I would like to do like this coil + clamper + ampr + integrator + filter + adc + PIC. Is it a right approach???