Clamper Circuit

Discussion in 'Feedback and Suggestions' started by dezurtrat, Mar 4, 2009.

1. dezurtrat

Thread Starter New Member

Dec 9, 2008
    The clamper circuit (DC Restorer) shows the Source Voltage V4 in figure (a)as 5Vp-p but the graph is showing full 10V swings. Isn't that 10Vp-p?

I think V4 in figure (a) should be labeled 5V peak and not 5Vp-p. Yes/No?

http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/vol_3/chpt_3/7.html#23028.png

EDIT: Also, the diodes in figures (a) and (b) are showing 4.3V across them. That should only be 0.7 volts across the diode alone I believe.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2009
  2. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    This one is a bit tricky. I believe you are looking at the back bias of the diode, in which case the 4.3V is correct. The capacitors are charged to the voltages needed to turn the diodes fully off, which is shown in the illustration.

You are correct about the 5V P-P problem, I believe the author meant to show 5V P and slipped. When I get confirmation I'll post the redrawn pictures for the editors.

3. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    Heck with it, if I'm wrong so be it.

Current:

[​IMG]

Proposed Correction

[​IMG]

If whoever edits the book would prefer the picture to read 10V p-p just ask.

4. dezurtrat

Thread Starter New Member

Dec 9, 2008
    I believe 5V peak would be better as it is that way on the previous page on the clipper circuit diagram. Stays consistent that way IMHO.

Thanks!

EDIT: Yes my mistake as the diodes are reversed biased! Doh!

Last edited: Mar 5, 2009
  5. Dcrunkilton

E-book Co-ordinator

Jul 31, 2004
    Thanks for pointing out the correction. The change has been entered at ibiblio.org

D Crunkilton