Clamp meter doesn't read same amps in both directions

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
I just received a lightly used Fluke 376 Clamp meter with iFlex cable. I tested it out on my toaster oven. I read 9.3A. I then tried it with the iFlex cable and read 8.7A. So I went back and tried it with the regular clamp and got 8.7A. A few times switching back and forth between regular clamp and iFlex cable and I figured out that with the regular clamp, I will read 8.7A or 9.3A depending on which direction I clamp the cable. It's very repeatable. I did it 5 or 6 times in a row...8.7A, flip it over, 9.3A, flip it over again, 8.7A.

I'm wondering if this is normal; I've never done a test like this on another clamp meter, and for all I know, they all do this. Can anybody confirm/refute this? Anybody have an explanation?

BSomer

Joined Dec 28, 2011
I agree that it *shouldn't* make a difference. However, I have experienced the same thing on clamp meters I've used in the past but not all of them.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
Well I'll try it on another load - a pure resistance, and see what happens. I'll also replace the batteries just for good measure. If it needs cal, then you might see it in the buy/sell section, still "lightly used." (with disclosure, of course)

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
How similar is the hookup for both directions? There will be some mechanical differences in layout. Since you have to clamp only one wire, the other wire will interfere given it generates a similar but opposite field if it is in a tight space.

In my machine maintenance days I made a 1 foot extenuation cord with the outer insulation stripped off, and the inner insulation intact. This is so I could get a clean grip with clamp meter on one wire, and make sure it was away from the others. It was one of those things in my toolbox I used occasionally.

My biggest use for a clamp meter was to identify dead heaters, or ones that were failing (much different from their fellows) since in a lot of cases they came in banks. We tended to use a lot of small Firerod brand types, and paralleled them for even heat distribution.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
I used it today to check the load on a transformer. It read the same in both directions. The transformer wires were right next to eachother, just as with the toaster oven.