ckt protection if voltage cross +5V

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by Vindhyachal Takniki, May 29, 2015.

1. Vindhyachal Takniki

Thread Starter Member

Nov 3, 2014
    1. My circuit is powered by +5V. It then runs a MCU with 3.3V (LDO used) & then lcd powered by +5V.
    2. Now if any case user coonects higher voltage than +5V then it will damage the lcd.
    3. Is there any way to protect it.
    4. One way is to place a zener of 5.1V. But usually zener conducts a lower voltage than rated & second its series resistor will limit the current.

2. Dodgydave

Distinguished Member

Jun 22, 2012
  3. MikeML

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 2, 2009
    If using a crowbar circuit, don't forget the series fuse.

Hypatia's Protege likes this.
  4. Hypatia's Protege

Distinguished Member

Mar 1, 2015
    OVP is a well 'explored' area --- A basic crowbar should suffice

My recomendation is implementation of a 1N6373 (or NTE 4900 -- http://www.ntepartsdirect.com/CGI-B...ebrtn=search&ml=LANSA:XHTML&part=CEP&lang=ENG )

EDIT: Please be advised that the above linked page is maddeningly slow to load!:rolleyes: -- Patience though, it is a working site...:)

Of course it goes without saying that you'll need to provide appropriate over-current protection lest the OVP device 'falls upon the proverbial sword' in vain... :(;)

Best regards
    HP

Last edited: May 29, 2015
  5. Hypatia's Protege

Distinguished Member

Mar 1, 2015
    @Dodgydave and @MikeML

Sorry about that! It seems I spent so much time waiting on 'NTEpartsdirect" (so as to copy the link) that your responses were 'in' by the time I clicked the post button:oops:

With abashed contrition
    HP