Circular PCCT boards

Discussion in 'Electronics Resources' started by MaxHeadRoom, Apr 27, 2015.

1. MaxHeadRoom

Thread Starter Expert

Jul 18, 2013
    Is there any software conducive to creating simple circular boards I need to make some very simple single sided PCB's about 1.5" in dia, with circular traces with a pad at certain radius points.
    I am using Kicad at present and I don't remember if my old version of Orcad does it either, in any case I would have to resurrect the old PC with it on.
    I don't appear to be able to do circular boards or tracks in Kicad?
    Or am I missing something?
    Max.

2. jpanhalt

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 18, 2008
    I think I can do it in Eagle setting the radius diameter for curved bends to whatever is needed. There is also a circle tool. I am pretty sure its product can be used for signals, but not 100% sure. If you post a sketch, I would be happy to make them for you. Can export Gerbers and some other formats. Standard shaped pads or some special shape? Eagle can do special shapes, but I have not tried that feature.

John

MaxHeadRoom likes this.
  3. MaxHeadRoom

Thread Starter Expert

Jul 18, 2013
    Thanks, I can draw them up in Autocad and produce a DXF or PDF.
    They are simple circular tracks with pads spaced at 45° etc.
    Max.

4. jpanhalt

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 18, 2008
    If you send a dxf, I can import into Eagle.

John

5. MaxHeadRoom

Thread Starter Expert

Jul 18, 2013
    I will get on it.
    Thanks.
    Max.

6. evan_wang

Apr 27, 2015
    protel , pads, eagle

7. MaxHeadRoom

Thread Starter Expert

Jul 18, 2013
    Sent a PM with a pic of the two boards if you could take a look?
    Max.

8. JohnInTX

Jun 26, 2012
    FWIW, I did a 6" circular board awhile back with a circle of LEDs in right angle holders pointing out radially and many circular traces around the outer edge including routing around mounting holes.

The way that worked for me was to use autoCAD to locate the circular trace runs that ran around the outer edge, hole clearance arcs, rotated LEDs etc. then read the XY coordinates and radius from CAD and use Eagle's ARC command to manually enter the trace.

The right angle LEDs were done with a new library component with the origin on the center line (not on a pad). Placed them radially in CAD then took the XY's again. Then dropped them on the PCB then used 'i' dentify in the board editor to do the fine XY placing and rotation angle. You can use 'i'dentify to fine tune the arcs as well.

I put one of the circuit's test points in the center of the circle and origined the board at that point to keep the arithmetic simpler. Its best to not have to move the circular tracks after placing them. I suppose you could use trigonometry to figure the XY's but that sounds like real work.

Good luck.