Circuit works in lab but not in Multisim.

Discussion in 'Homework Help' started by phalanx08, Nov 9, 2011.

1. phalanx08

Thread Starter New Member

Nov 9, 2011
  2. praondevou

AAC Fanatic!

Jul 9, 2011
    What does it do in the simulator?

Can you post the multisim file as well so the people working with it don't have to redraw the circuit?

3. phalanx08

Nov 9, 2011
    It doesn't do anything. Nothing is displayed on the LED.

Sorry, I forgot to post the file.
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/48944649/LEDBCDcounter.ms10

4. praondevou

AAC Fanatic!

Jul 9, 2011
    Several things are strange. First I connected an oscilloscope to the three outputs , the two last ones are at about 1V as if the 7473 couldn't drive whatever is connected to it's outputs.

So I connected something acting as a buffer, the first I found in between. (just a 74f08 with the two inputs tied together)

Output voltages are at 5V but still nothing on the display.

Then I replaced the VCC for a DC-power supply and used for the grounds a digital ground symbol...

Now the display alternates between "0" and "L". :D

Still working on it.

5. praondevou

AAC Fanatic!

Jul 9, 2011
    Ok, the real problem is something else. IMO there is something wrong with the model of the 7473. It is a negative edge triggered FF.
    In Multisim it triggers on the positive edge...

I replaced it with a 7476 which should be a positive triggered FF. It triggers on the negative edge. The simulation runs with the 7476. ;)

Not sure what's happening here.

phalanx08 likes this.
  6. DerStrom8

Feb 20, 2011
    Sometimes you need to adjust the operating current for the LED (usually decrease it). Not sure if that's the case in Multisim or not. I know you sometimes have to change it in ISIS.

Der Strom

7. phalanx08

Nov 9, 2011
    I appreciate the help. I'll rebuild it using your modifications (I can't view ms11 files using v.10), and confirm.

On your recommendation, I lowered the on current and the LED did flicker (showed only seven and the letter F). No matter how low I dropped the current (1e-20 pA haha), it still only flickered between 7 and F. If I could find the correct on current then I'd be in business.

8. phalanx08

Nov 9, 2011
    Well, this is weird. My 7476 are also negative triggered.

[​IMG]

EDIT: Even though the 7476N is also negatively triggered, it worked! Many thanks praondevou!

Last edited: Nov 9, 2011