Circuit with Two Sources and Switch

mjakov

Joined Feb 13, 2014

Hi all!

Here is a circuit with two sources and a switch. The right source should be a dependent source according to the notation used in my book, although I fail to see any dependance. Could this be a typing error in the book?

The task is to find \( v=? \)

The initial conditions before closing the switch would be:
\( i_1 (0) = 0 \)
\( i_2 (0) = - \frac{k}{2} \)
\( v(0) = k \), this assumes that the right source is active starting from \( - \infty \). Could this assumption be wrong?

Starting with loop analysis:
(1): \( -2 + 2i_1 + 2 (i_1 - i_2) = 0 \)
(2): \( 2 (i_2 - i_1) + \frac{di_2}{dt} + k = 0 \)

Eliminating \( i_1 \) gives:
\( i_2 + \frac{di_2}{dt} = 1 - k \)
Solving this equation:
\( i_2^h = A e^{-t} \)
\( i_2^p = 1 - k \)
\( i_2 = i_2^h + i_2^p = Ae^{-t} + 1 - k\)
Inserting the initial condition:
\( i_2(0) = A + 1 - k = - \frac{k}{2} \)
\( A = \frac{k}{2} - 1\)
It follows:
\( i_2 = (\frac{k}{2} - 1) e^{-t} + 1 - k \)
From Eq. (1):
\( i_1 = \frac{i_2+1}{2} \)
\( i_1 = \frac{1}{2} (\frac{k}{2} - 1 ) e^{-t} + 1 - \frac{1}{2}k \)
Observe that \( i_1 \) does not satisfy the initial condition for 0 in the last equation, only for 0+, after the switch is closed. So it would probably be better to multiply the result of \( i_1\) with the unit step function? I am asking this, because we can derive the formula for \( i_1 \) without the step function, by simply inserting the initial condition in the diff. eq.
Now to calculate v:
\( v = 2 (i_1 - i_2) \)
\( v = (1 - \frac{k}{2}) e^{-t} + k\)
For example, for \( k = 0.5 \) we obtain \( v = \frac{3}{4} e^{-t} + \frac{1}{2} \). The solution according to my book should be: \( v = e^{-\frac{t}{2}} \). For \( k = 0 \) the solution is correct: \( v = e^{-t}\).

From this I surmise that the exponential part should look like \( e^{-kt} \), but I do not see how this could be obtained from the differential equation above. Any help or hints would be appreciated.

Last edited:

MikeML

Joined Oct 2, 2009
This is really an interesting circuit. I simed it for k=0 (green), 0.5 (red), 0.9 (blue), 1 (yellow) and slightly more than 1 (violet). I plot the voltage at node V and the current through the inductor. I close the switch at 2s. Before that, the voltage at V(v) and E2 = 0, and the inductor current is zero. At 2s, the switch is closed in 1ps, and V(v) jumps to 1V.

For k=1, the voltage at both ends of the inductor is the same, so no current flows through the inductor, so V(v) is just half the step.
For k=0, the voltage at the right end of the inductor is zero, so the circuit is just two 2Ω resistors in parallel (1Ω) fed by half a two volt step (1V) into 1H, so a simple RL time constant.
For k=0.5 and o.9, the time constant is lengthened.
For k>1. the current is ever increasing...

111.gif

mjakov

Joined Feb 13, 2014
Hi! Thanks for the answer. I assume that the right hand side source is dependent on small v in your simulation. This would make sense and the obtained graph is compatible with the solutions in my book. For yellow we should have v = 1 like in the simulation. Violet looks like a rising exponential. According to the solutions, for k = 2, v should be \( v = e^t \). I suppose you chose for yellow k slightly more than 1, because otherwise v would grow too fast to plot together with the other values. For, k = 2, would it be possible in practice, since that should case unbounded growth of v? P.S. It looks like the simulation approach is quite effective when troubleshooting the algebraic analysis :)

Last edited:

MikeML

Joined Oct 2, 2009
... I assume that the right hand side source is dependent on small v in your simulation. This would make sense and the obtained graph is compatible with the solutions in my book. For yellow we should have v = 1 like in the simulation. Violet looks like a rising exponential. According to the solutions, for k = 2, v should be \( v = e^t \). I suppose you chose for yellow k slightly more than 1, because otherwise v would grow too fast to plot together with the other values. For, k = 2, would it be possible in practice, since that should case unbounded growth of v? P.S. It looks like the simulation approach is quite effective when troubleshooting the algebraic analysis :)
It doesn't produce the equation, but it sure makes it easy to check the equation that you derive...

The growth is unbounded for any value of k>1

Here it is again with k=2. I plot the two voltages on a log plot to show the exponential growth, and that V(e1) is always 2x V(v), as you would expect. Since there is a voltage difference between the two ends of the inductor, as you would expect, the inductor current grows forever...

111a.gif