circuit needed, 70kv/20A

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
I would like 7.5 cycles per second.
That's quite do-able even utilizing a mechanical switch.

I would like the "corona discharge" to help me. If I had two car coils, could I add the voltages?
Well, that's getting into some pretty scary territory. You would have to have a 12v supply for the 2nd coil that was isolated from the 1st supply, and a the highest potential that the 1st coil could supply, or perhaps 50kV.

I think a mosfet on a timer could handle the 20Amp part and a timer could be put on the negative primary to the coil, then it would be a matter of timing those two circuits so that I end up with what I want.
Well, a MOSFET could handle the 20A 12V just fine. However, as soon as the 50kV or so hit the plate, the MOSFET would self-destruct, as you would exceed it's voltage rating by around 49kV. MOSFETs do not fare well at all with high voltages applied.

I think I understand the personal danger of touching any of this, but I do not understand the emf danger or how to protect from it. I have heard the phrase "faraday cage", is this what is needed?
Basically, yes. The equipment needs to be enclosed inside a grounded metal box. Copper would be the preferred material, or blank double-sided PCB's soldered together. Aluminum could be used, if corrosion inhibitors were applied.