Circuit for photomultiplier amplifier

Guillermo HM

Joined Aug 22, 2016
[ Moderator's note: This post was extracted from a dormant thread http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/threads/circuit-for-photomultiplier-amplifier.108936. It has been moved to its own thread in hopes that somebody can give some assistance.]

Hello Nick,

I have the very same problem. I'm working too on a Hamamatsu photon-counting PMT and I'd like to keep the 1 ns rising time. This post is one year old and I'd like to know if you made it!

Anyway I share some information I have. I recommend you a paper "Amplifiers for use with photomultipliers - who needs them? -A.G. Wright" The key word is Transimpedance amplifier. I will purchase the OPA633 I think the most important features are the bias current and the gainbandwidth product, I need a 500 gain.

Hope to hear from you guys.

Gahm

Last edited by a moderator:

justand

Joined Dec 31, 2017
rise time will strongly depend on the amplification of the inverter. This is a very complex issue from theoretical standpoint.
The opamp must have very high input impedance, low input capacitance and your feedback resistor needs to be quite low, because in this setup you are limiting the opamp bandwidth considerably. Why don't you want to use the HV for gain? Well, anyway - this was 1 year ago, so you probably figured it all out already.