Circuit for electronic musical instrument

vibz90

Joined Oct 24, 2009
Hello
I am new to this forum, so do tell me if there is any mistake...
I have no idea about electronics and my teacher gave me an assignment regarding musical instrument.

I have to design a circuit for a musical instrument that can play a short section of music, like the XP log on or log off sound using low cost components available on uk.farnell.com and uk.rs-online.com/web.there was something related to frequency generator also, to identify the frequencies of the sound to be played. i used the frequency generator and found the frequency of the notes of my music, but i don't know how to design an instrument that can play those notes when i press the button for that frequency. the frequency range should be as simple as possible, and should contain around 5 musical notes
I have no idea from where should i begin.
plz help me as soon as you can...
Thanks a lot in advance...

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

It looks like a homework assignment so I will give some idea's and not a complete schematic.
You could make a sequencer with a 555 and a 4017.
On the outputs of the 4017 there can be pots to adjust the tones of the audio oascillator.

Greetings,
Bertus

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
A very simple oscillator like a 555 makes square-waves that sound like a buzzer.
A musical instrument does not make noises like a variable-frequency buzzer.

Instead you need a complicated circuit that makes the waveforms and attack/decays of a musical instrument.

vibz90

Joined Oct 24, 2009
friends, thanks a lot for your help... but, i still have no idea, i don't know what a sequencer is, where should i put it in.

ELECTRONERD

Joined May 26, 2009
You could also take the BASIC stamp and program it to sound at different notes or frequencies. All you have to do is program it to produce a certain frequency. I actually made my BASIC stamp to play twinkle-twinkle little star (an immature song I know...but I'll have it playing a concerto in no time! :D).

vibz90

Joined Oct 24, 2009
actually i want the immature songs only, as immature as possible... but how to programme it, and what is the basic circuit??

ELECTRONERD

Joined May 26, 2009
actually i want the immature songs only, as immature as possible... but how to programme it, and what is the basic circuit??
Well, isn't that ironic? Ok then take a look at this link:

http://www.parallax.com/tabid/295/Default.aspx

That's what your going to need; the "BASIC Stamp". It makes it much easier if you have the entire development board so I would recommend that you purchase the "Boe Bot" which includes the BASIC Stamp. It will also come with a complete student guide which will help you with all the programming. Here is the link to buy that:

http://www.parallax.com/tabid/411/Default.aspx

You might be able to find it cheaper somewhere else but nevertheless, better start saving up de' "Mullah".

Hopefully there is a more inexpensive solution, but I bet you would still like to play around with that robot anyway?

vibz90

Joined Oct 24, 2009
bro, it is becoming a bit complicated, I want the most simple one, a simple circuit , is this circuit (for instrument) as simple as it can be?? I have to design a simple circuit on the circuit board to show it to the teacher, will this work? How to use it?

ELECTRONERD

Joined May 26, 2009
bro, it is becoming a bit complicated, I want the most simple one, a simple circuit , is this circuit (for instrument) as simple as it can be?? I have to design a simple circuit on the circuit board to show it to the teacher, will this work? How to use it?
Well you won't actually assemble or solder any parts but you'll be programming. Does that count? You might have to ask your teacher. I suppose this wouldn't be considered the simplest way, but it works.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Ahh, there will be a significant cost for a Basic Stamp, and the necessary hardware to program one; somewhere in the range of $130 USD+; more expensive in the UK. I don't think this is what our OP's instructor had in mind.

vibz90

Joined Oct 24, 2009
If this is not, then is there any other option, what is the other way? How should i start? Do i have to make a circuit of BJT's?? Give me your opinion Sgt.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Did you look at the 555 timer IC? It would be an inexpensive way to experiment.

Don't worry about Audioguru's comment. You're not trying to make an instrument suitable for a concert; just something that will output a sequence of tones.

ELECTRONERD

Joined May 26, 2009
I suppose that he could use the 555 with multiple switches; each going to different component values that determine the output tone. Is that what you had in mind?

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
I suppose that he could use the 555 with multiple switches; each going to different component values that determine the output tone. Is that what you had in mind?
Actually, using a 4017 Johnson counter as a sequencer.

They'll need a 2nd 555 timer to clock the 4017.

vibz90

Joined Oct 24, 2009
thanks alot man, i think this is exactly what i needed, i will surely confirm it tomorrow, but thanks a lot....
Regards
Vibz

vibz90

Joined Oct 24, 2009
thank u guys, thanks a lot for your help, i think i have got what i neede, still i wil let you guys know... thanks again
Regards
VibZ