Circuit for AC motor limit switching

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by RURC, Mar 6, 2015.

1. RURC

Thread Starter New Member

Mar 6, 2015
    I have looked and not found exactly what I need.

Here is the low down on the set up and what I need to do.

I have a boat lift. The motor is a Leeson 3/4 hp 115vac model 119146.00 (See image of label below)

[​IMG]

The direction is controlled by a Bremas cam switch. this switch seems to be the standard of the boat lift industry. I have seen this switch on every boat lift I have ever seen. Turn the switch to the left and the motor raises the boat. Turn it to the right it lowers the boat. Here is the wiring diagram for the switch.

[​IMG]

Everything I go over in my head and on paper does not work. I cant interrupt the power flow in line like I could a DC motor to accomplish this. I need to make the lift stop at a preset point both up and down so I don't have to stand right at the controller.

I need help on this. I am willing to make a full relay board if needed but I am looking for a simpler way.

Any help you can give would be very appreciated.

2. MaxHeadRoom

Expert

Jul 18, 2013
    The drum switch should do it for you? As shown on the motor plate you just need to reverse the black & red, but I assume you know this? So is it just a case of interrupting the lift etc at a certain point? or are you talking an automatic set up where you push a button and it runs until the limit is seen?
    There are some L.S. circuits here under 3 wire control section etc.
    http://static.schneider-electric.us/docs/Machine Control/0140CT9201.pdf
    Max.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2015
  3. Duane P Wetick

Apr 23, 2009
    This is a standard 3/4 HP dual voltage 1800 RPM AC induction motor...millions in use everywhere. Looking at the motor wiring diagram (nameplate), the black and red leads are connected as shown for CCW rotation. Interchanging them will give CW rotation. The 4 pole drum switch can perform this operation easily. Use an ohmmeter to check your connections before powering up.

Cheers, DPW [ Everything has limitations...and I hate limitations.]