Chrome OS questions

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
In looking for a replacement laptop on ebay, I see many of the manuf such as HP etc, are using Chrome OS instead of Windows.
It's the first time I have come across Chrome as an OS.
How does one run all the typical programs, word processors, CAD etc on these PC's?
Does it mean I will have to use Acronis etc to set up a dual boot system?
Max.

sirch2

Joined Jan 21, 2013
I'd check that you can get drivers for your devices for Chrome OS, e.g. printers, scanners, FTDI, etc. I know more modern printers and scanners may work but it is worth checking.

bug13

Joined Feb 13, 2012
If you want a work laptop, buy a windows laptop, last time i check, the architect is different from windows and you may not boot into windows.

elec_mech

Joined Nov 12, 2008
When I briefly looked into these a few years ago, their claim to fame was a fast start-up (~10 sec) so you could access the Internet quickly. To the best of my very limited knowledge, these are designed to be Internet machines, not typical computers capable of loading and running other programs. This is not to say they cannot, I simply don't know, but as they are designed as Internet machines, I would question whether the hardware is capable of running other programs even if you were to add another OS.

What is the problem with your current laptop? If you're happy with the performance overall and want something faster, I'd suggest an SSD hard drive. They make a noticeable difference in speed and performance without the need to replace the rest of the computer.