Christmas lights that are only operated by only 12 v battery

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by Lightfire, Jan 24, 2011.

1. Lightfire

Thread Starter Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2010
    Hi,

I am planning to make a Christmas light which can be used on a 12 volts battery.

The circuit includes:

8 pieces of 1.5 volts Christmas light (one bulb)
    A wire
    and a 12 volts battery...

1.5 volts times 8 equals 12???

so, it is possible to work???

Anyway, I saw that a normal Christmas single light is about 2.5 volts so if I put 8 pieces of 2.5 volts Christmas light bulb, it will not be bright anymore. Because 2.5 x 8 is already 20 :( And I only had 12 volts battery. :p

P.S. My circuit will be on a series circuit...

2. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    I have an article you need to read, I think I have suggested it before.

LEDs, 555s, Flashers, and Light Chasers

Chapters 1 and 2 will tell you how to use LEDs of all colors. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

3. wayneh

Expert

Sep 9, 2010
    Are your bulbs "regular" bulbs, I mean NOT LEDs?

If so, your circuit should be fine. LEDs are less simple to use because they will make little or no light at low voltages, but will be quickly damaged at higher voltages.

Like many strings of lights, your's will go dark if any one of the bulbs fail to complete the circuit because of a bad connection, or if it's burnt out.

4. Bernard

AAC Fanatic!

Aug 7, 2008
    Why not use two strings of 5 bulbs each, from 50 bulb string,? Most current bulbs short when burned out- or maybe 4 out of 5 burn-outs.[ experience of 260 bulb flag over 5 years.] If bulbs are taken from a 35 bulb string, about 3.4V ea, then 2 - 4 bulb strings can be used.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2011