christmas inflatable trouble

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by paul m, Dec 21, 2014.

1. paul m

Thread Starter New Member

Dec 21, 2014
    I am having trouble with the blower motor on a Christmas inflatable decoration. The motor fails to spin. I plled the fan apart and found that there is a capacitor wired into the system. I don't know if this could be the problem. This device also has lights and sound which I have disconnected. I am running a.c. power direct to the motor and it still won't spin. I did open up the motor and it appears to be in perfect condition inside. No rust or burn marks. I believe this is called a brushless motor. There is no label on the motor. I have 120 volts going to the motor. I have tried spinning the motor while plugged in with no success. Any ideas?

2. wayneh

Expert

Sep 9, 2010
    So the motor spins freely but does absolutely nothing with power applied? (No buzz, or indication that it is trying to spin?)

That sounds to me like a fuse or thermal cut-out has tripped. Post a photo of the motor.

3. paul m

Dec 21, 2014

4. paul m

Dec 21, 2014
    No hum, no buzz, I have checked the voltage at the connection and I do have 120 volts.

5. Alec_t

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 17, 2013
    With power off, what is the DC resistance between the input connections of the motor?

6. paul m

Dec 21, 2014
    How would I check the d.c resistance of the motor?

7. sdowney717

Jul 18, 2012
    motor looks good inside.
    There is a tiny fuse they wire into the winding, see if it is open. The fuse is used to detect if the motor is overheating, like the bearings are stiff. I lube these with synthetic engine oil 20W, and that always does well.

8. MaxHeadRoom

Expert

Jul 18, 2013
    Appears to be a standard split phase induction motor, you should have three connections (after the Cap) and they should all show continuity.
    Max.

9. paul m

Dec 21, 2014
    I am not sure what you mean. There are four wires coming out of the motor white and black and then there is a brown and blue going to a capasitor. the white, blue and brown all have continuity. the black has continuity with none.

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    There it is. Black is faulty inside the motor. Go looking for that fuse or thermal disconnect mentioned in post #2.

11. paul m

Dec 21, 2014
    I did look for the fuse earlier, without success. I will look again. There is a peice of waxy glue where the wires enter the windings. I will peel that back and look inside. Thanks for the help.

12. wayneh

Expert

Sep 9, 2010
    Can you remove those star screws and/or look behind there? I don't think the fuse or whatever should be hard to find, but I could be wrong.