Choosing the ideal current shunt value

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by Mad Professor, Jan 19, 2013.

1. Mad Professor

Thread Starter Active Member

Apr 15, 2009
    Good day all.

I am looking at doing some voltage and current monitoring with my Arduino Uno.

The voltage range is 0-15vdc, and 0-5amp.

I know I can monitor the voltage by just using simple voltage divider into the Arduino ADC port.

Regarding monitoring the current I know I can buy current/voltage monitoring ic's that I can interface with the Arduino, but I would like to keep away from that.

So what I would like to know is how do I go about sizing the right current shunt resistor vavlue for a 0-5amp load, so that I can use the Arduino adc port.

Looking in my used parts bin, I have found a bunch of "DALE LVR-3 0R01 1% 3W" Resistors.

Would this be suitable?

Thanks for your time.

Best Regards.

2. mcgyvr

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 15, 2009
    Typical current shunts give 0-50mv or 0-100mv full scale output.

a .01 ohm 3W
    .01 x 5^2 =.25W
    That will work just fine

5 x .01 = 50mV

3. crutschow

Expert

Mar 14, 2008
    You likely will want to amplify the 50mV to a higher voltage to get reasonable resolution in the Arduino.

And if you can't use the shunt in the ground line then you will need a differential amp that can work at the supply rail to do the amplification.

4. Mad Professor

Apr 15, 2009
    Thanks for your replys.

I am indeed looking to use the current shunt on the ground side.

As I have not used op-amps before, can someone recommended me a suitable op-amp to convert 0-50mv to 0-5v.

Or a link to where I can find the required information.

Thanks again.

Best Regards.

5. crutschow

Expert

Mar 14, 2008
    You can use the non-inverting op amp circuit shown here. If you only have a single power supply then you will need to use a single-supply op amp such as an LM358.

What is the supply voltage(s) you have to power the op amp?

Edit: The LM358 and many common op amps have a typical input offset of several mV which would be a significant portion of your signal. If that's a problem for you, then you would need a low-offset rail-to-rail op amp.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2013
    SPQR likes this.
  6. Mad Professor

Apr 15, 2009
    Thanks again for your reply.

My circuit has a +12vdc input, then a 7805 to supply +5vdc for the microcontroller.

I am just reading the Operational Amplifiers section of the allaboutcircuits website.

7. crutschow

Expert

Mar 14, 2008
    Is the 12V regulated or from a rectifier and filter?

8. Mad Professor

Apr 15, 2009
    I am using a mains power adaptor with a fixed 12vdc regulated output.

9. crutschow

Expert

Mar 14, 2008
    So you could use that or the 5V to power the op amp, depending upon the amp limits.