Choosing PIC programmer

Discussion in 'Embedded Systems and Microcontrollers' started by Ubergoober, Aug 9, 2008.

1. Ubergoober

Thread Starter New Member

Aug 5, 2008
    I am going to buy a programmer and was wondering if this is a good choice I don't want to buy something really expensive but can program a lot of different chips. The one that I'm paying for is $60 and I wondering if that is a choice, buck for bang wise. Also are there any others better for that price range?
  2. AllVol

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 22, 2005
    Before deciding, look into PICkit 2. Much more for less money!
  3. vetterick

Aug 11, 2008
    Yes yes, the PICkit 2 $35.00 and works every time.
  4. mgatesoglu

Jul 8, 2008
  5. SgtWookie

Jul 17, 2007
    The PICkit 1 is $36 USD. The PICkit 2 Starter Kit and PICkit 2 Debug Express are both $49.99 USD. You can do a lot with either the PICkit 1 or PICkit 2, but the PICkit 1 won't support programming of PICs with more than 14 pins.

The PICkit 2 can program any PIC that's capable of being programmed via ICSD (ie: serial programming)

None of these are considered "production" programmers by Microchip; merely "development" programmers.

A production programmer is capable of verifying the programming of the uC at high, low, and standard Vdd. For many hobbyists, this is not necessary. However, if you're planning on mass-producing an item, you really need to look into a production programmer. They are considerably more expensive than development programmers.
  6. MusicTech

Apr 4, 2008
  7. SgtWookie

Jul 17, 2007
    Item 2, which is 30 RM, ($9.024 USD) must be used in conjunction with Item 1, which is 50 RM ($15.04 USD) for a total of 80 RM ($24.064 USD) plus shipping.

The selection of PICs that they have actually tested with the programmer is limited, and they caution you about attempting to program untested PICs without verifying that it will work - but don't give details on how to do that. See the manual.
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2008
  8. kammenos

Aug 3, 2008

No it is not a good choice. Check ebay first. prefer a programmer compartible with microchip MPLAB IDE (something like ICD2). Might be a little bit more expensive but it worths any penny...