Choosing Oscillator Help

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by airplane100000, Aug 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. airplane100000

Thread Starter Member

Aug 2, 2016
    I am in need of assistance regarding the constructing of an oscillator which will best meet the following criteria for an application which I am designing.
    I attempted to find a solution with the search function, though found nothing definitive.
    The necessary criteria for the application are:
    - ~12V Signal, Powered by a 12V DC battery source
    -Ideally square wave (Sinusoidal gives worse results, but is also possible)
    -Accurate frequency of 55.5khz with 3% margin of error
    -Built with small components soldered to board (Typical sizes, nothing extraordinarily large) ICs are permissible.
    -Requires no manual tuning or adjusting (The circuit may be produced in large numbers)

I attempted construction of the circuit with a 555 chip. The results were problematic due to the 555's 200ma output limitation. (I tried having the output control a transistor as a switch to the power, results are still problematic for various reasons).

I do not need detailed instructions pertaining to construction, simply a point in the right direction as to which method may best meet the criteria.
    Any help is greatly appreciated
  2. DickCappels

Aug 21, 2008
    The NE555 was a good start. You might be better using an LMC555C to drive a complimentary pair of MOSFETs. The circuit below illustrates the MOSFET buffer.

In the circuit below replace the leftmost gate with the LMC555C or even your NE555 but add a pull-up resistor on the output, then throw away the rectifiers and everything to the right of them and take your output from the point where the 2.2 ohm resistors meet. The 2.2 ohm resistors can be replaced with small inductors to reduce I2R losses.

3. Sensacell

Jun 19, 2012
    It would help to have a clear understanding of what this oscillator needs to drive?

The circuit above will work, but the 3% accuracy specification will be a pain.
  4. bertus

Apr 5, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.