Choosing oil for small electric motors

Joined Nov 30, 2010
For a long time, I used Hoppe's Gun oil instead of 3-in-1 because there is no gummy stuff in it.
A couple of years ago, the motor manufacturers, "improved" the motors by switching to a bushing that runs so hot that the Gun oil flashes into flame. Now I have to use the 8 ounce, $4, long tube, pre-filled, oil containers from the parts store. $16 a quart for motor oil!!!

Does anybody have a better option, like maybe 5W-20W car engine oil?
Bad choice? Loaded with varnish?
Transmission fluid?
My teacher told me it is, "a good grade of oil with some red dye and a LOT of detergent".

I think I'll start a thread about this.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
Since I don't see any oil thread, I'll give my suggestion here. ND10. OReilly keeps it in the back. You won't see it on the shelf, but if you ask for it, they do have it. Note that I've never used it as electric motor lube; I just suspect it would work well.

inwo

Joined Nov 7, 2013
Is this the one referenced?

Motor and bearing oil.

Don't know if it's good. It's what I use.

Non-detergent motor oil should be good. How about air tool oil?

Attachments

Markd77

Joined Sep 7, 2009
WD40? Actually I heard that if you spray it into a jar it separates out into a thick layer and a layer of light oil.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
strantor, THIS is the oil thread.

Actually, WD-40 is good for repeat business...in about 3 days.
Water Displacement Formula 40 is NOT motor oil!

Inwo has a pic of the parts store oil.
O'Reilly is nowhere around Florida that I know of.

This might not be the best site to ask about oil. :(

I'm talking about fractional horsepower motors...1/4, 1/3, 1/2 HP. That range.

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
For all of my old brass sleeve and bushing type motors I have always ran regular #30 weight oil in them.

As of the last few years I have put synthetic 80w90 gear in several and had no noticeable problems with gumming up or other issues.

inwo

Joined Nov 7, 2013
Synthetic, that's a good idea.

I helped put a new cam in a Polaris ATV last week. It called for 0-50 synthetic. Never heard of 0-50.:confused:

That may be good stuff.

inwo

Joined Nov 7, 2013
Not trying to be a smartass but have you tried google ??
Was that for me?:D

I have no real interest. Not my machine.:cool:

I did learn that 10W30 doesn't cut it. The exhaust lobe was gone since the last oil change.:eek:

Thought that if synthetic was that much better, it might be a plus for motor bearings.

@tracecom Cost isn't an issue. A little would go a long way.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Not trying to be a smartass but have you tried google ??
Yes. It says, 20W motor oil, 30W motor oil, Tri-flow with Teflon, 3-in-1, Marvel Mystery oil, WD-40, sewing machine oil, sewing machine oil and some graphite, Lithium grease, and 10W-30 car oil.

I know for sure that 2 of those are horrible so I'm asking for the experience of people that a) wouldn't lie to me and, b) have shown some level of intelligence:
the nerds of AAC!:p

Last edited:

debe

Joined Sep 21, 2010
Was that for me?:D

I have no real interest. Not my machine.:cool:

I did learn that 10W30 doesn't cut it. The exhaust lobe was gone since the last oil change.:eek:

Thought that if synthetic was that much better, it might be a plus for motor bearings.

@tracecom Cost isn't an issue. A little would go a long way.
When rebuilding engines or replacing camshafts I use this Wynns product on cam lobes & bearing surfaces. Most cam replacement damage is done from lack of lubricant just after startup.

Attachments

debe

Joined Sep 21, 2010
I use Sewing machine oil & never had any troubles. Use a glass syringe with a needle to lube the little felt lube pads. Reason I use this oil is theres a 2liter bottle of it for the wifes Industrial sewing machine.

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
This thread got me thinking.

More years ago than I can exactly remember a buddy of mine had a small desk fan that we mounted onto the wall of his entry way to help circulate air better being his electric heaters were at the six foot level making the floors always freezing cold.

Anyway that little fan ran 24/7 and after about two months it got a little bearing squeak and rattle to it. I didn't have anything but chainsaw bar oil around to lube it with so I figured I would put a few drops on it and just get him a new fan as a present next time I visited.

I'm thinking that fan has been running non stop for maybe 7 - 8 years now on half worn out bushings thanks to a few drops of Stihl chainsaw bar oil! :cool:

If you think about it chainsaw bar oil is super slippery, does not easily rub off or evaporate, is not overly thick but is still very snotty, is designed to handle high heat and loading and all while in a very dirty environment so what could be better for a small motors bushings?

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
Chainsaw bar oil is almost like "way oil" for machine tools. Has a lot of paraffin in it to make it sticky. Should work great for motor bearings.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Guess what I saw on the way home today...an O'Reillys being built about 2 miles from my house!

Yay, strantor.