Choosing best sensor to sense electrical signal characteristics

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by Abdul Wali, Mar 26, 2016.

1. Abdul Wali

Thread Starter New Member

Mar 19, 2016
    I want to choose a sensor which can sense the current flowing from the electricity meter of the residential houses, the sensor should be able to sense how the signal looks like i mean using the sensor i want to see the shape of the signal. So can u help me that which type of sensor will do that for me ?

Mods edit :
    Please don't do double post again, thank you for your cooperation.

2. blocco a spirale

AAC Fanatic!

Jun 18, 2008
    Do you want to sense or measure current? What do you mean by "the intrinsic characteristics of the signal" ?

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
  4. Abdul Wali

Thread Starter New Member

Mar 19, 2016
    thanks for reply, i want to measure the current and know how the signal looks like

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    That requires an oscilloscope.

Abdul Wali likes this.
  6. MaxHeadRoom

Expert

Jul 18, 2013
    Current transformer for non-invasive reading.
    Max.

Abdul Wali likes this.
  7. InspectorGadget

Nov 5, 2010
    Just google "current sensor". There are two basic types. One is a solid-state version that flows the current through a low-resistance shunt and measures the voltage drop across it. Residential current is too much for these, I would think.

The other type is a circular device you slip over one of the main electrical supply wires to the house. They look basically like the one below. Their big advantage is that they have no direct contact with the high-voltage, high-current supply to the residence.

[​IMG]

Abdul Wali likes this.