Chompin' at the Bit

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Ron H, Apr 21, 2011.

1. Ron H

Thread Starter AAC Fanatic!

Apr 14, 2005
    I guess I dodged a bullet, but I'm gettin' cabin fever.
    I went to my cardiologist for a routine treadmill stress test last Wednesday. I passed with flying colors - no chest pain, and I did pretty well for a 70 year old geezer who had a heart attack in 1998, which damaged 30% of my heart muscle. After Monday's stress test, my doc showed me this little anomaly on my stress EKG, and said it is sometimes indicative of a partial blockage. I went to the hospital Monday for an exploratory angiogram. My doc found a 95% blockage! He installed a stent, I stayed overnight, and came home Tuesday morning, feeling great. He told me to lay off metal detecting (my outdoor hobby) for a week, mostly to allow the incision in my femoral artery, where they inserted the catheter, to heal.
    My choice of cardiologists came about because he was on duty in ER when I had the heart attack in '98. I thank God for putting us together. He really knows his stuff. A less competent doctor might have missed that little blip on the EKG, or dismissed it as insignificant. It could have presaged my premature demise!
    Anyhow, look out, coins! Monday can't come too soon!

2. VoodooMojo

Nov 28, 2009
    Stay healthy Ron, there is a bag of 1943 copper pennies just over the next ridge waiting for you to dig up....Good luck!

3. someonesdad

Jul 7, 2009
    I can't see why anyone would want those 1943 pennies. I used to put them in place of our fuses, but they always started a fire. They were crappy pennies -- I used to put them out on the sidewalk and hope that someone would steal them.

Ron, I understand about the cabin fever -- I've got it too. I'm looking forward to getting outside and doing some yard work, but we're having a fairly cold and wet spring so far (Ron and I live in the same town).

Congrats on ducking the bullet. I'd ask you for your cardiologist's name, but the last time I had an EKG, my doctor said it was OK and that I'd probably die from MOTTW.

4. Ron H

Apr 14, 2005
    I think the point of the "bag of 1943 copper pennies" was, the 1943 penny was zinc-coated steel. A few were erroneously struck on bronze planchets, and these are very valuable.
    I've been getting out detecting on most days that were not too rainy or windy. I was out several times when the ground was frozen, at least in spots. My cabin fever only started on Monday. I have a short fuse.:rolleyes:
    Thanks for the congrats. :) My cardiologist is Dr. David Sim, even if you don't want to know.:eek:

MOTTW:confused::confused::confused:

5. mbohuntr

Apr 6, 2009
    I would like to break mine out, I haven't gone in years. I have a Whites Eagle Spectrum with a couple of coils. Been sitting in the closet for about ten years... What do you use?

6. Ron H

Apr 14, 2005
    I have a Minelab Explorer SE, and a Garrett ProPointer.

7. mbohuntr

Apr 6, 2009
    Oh... A Minelab..... You must be RICH!!! ;) I liked the Garrett GTA series as well!!! We'll have to get together sometime and share some pics. Good catch on the heart, it's the ones they miss that get you.

8. Ron H

Apr 14, 2005
    Not as rich as I was before I bought it.:D Actually, I was working when I bought it. Now I'm retired. I couldn't afford to buy it now. I was on vacation, visiting my daughter who had just rented a house on 13 acres in Georgia. She said her landlord had heard a rumor that there might have been some Civil War activity on the property. I called up my dealer here in Idaho and asked what he would recommend for a relic/coin detector. He shipped me the SE overnight. I sent him beaucoup bux.
    I spent a lot of time in the woods behind the house. Found a couple big shards of lead which were interesting, a few bullets, some 100 year old shotgun shell bases, a set of keys from the '50s, a plow blade, and some rusty nails, but nothing that I could say was definitely a CW relic. Sure wound up with a 1st class detector, though!:p I've found some gnarly coins and jewelry with it.

9. mbohuntr

Apr 6, 2009
    We are pretty lucky here, this area was populated from the late 1600's by the British. We even got a piece of the war of 1812. The oldest coin I've found was an 1820 large cent from our public parks.

10. Ron H

Apr 14, 2005
    My oldest coin is an 1850 dime, from the site of an old mining town in the mountains near here.

11. someonesdad

Jul 7, 2009
    Mouthing off to the wife... :p

Yeah, I knew about the steel pennies (I saved a few from when I was a kid), but I didn't know about the valuable mistaken ones until I looked them up on the web.

12. Ron H

Apr 14, 2005
    That could do it.:D