Choke Inductor

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by gusmas, Jun 24, 2013.

1. gusmas

Thread Starter Active Member

Sep 27, 2008
    Morning

I just want to know, if an Inductor is called a "choke Inductor" it just means what common application the component can be used for correct? Reason for asking is I have a "common mode choke 1-phase Inductor" but I just want to use it in a DC-DC converter and not for any harmonics filtering.

Thanks

2. wayneh

Expert

Sep 9, 2010
    I looked into this once and my takeaway was that "choke" is just another word for inductor and is more about the application than the device itself. Happy to learn more if this isn't right.

3. crutschow

Expert

Mar 14, 2008
    A common-mode choke can be used as an inductor but it's normal mode current is usually quite small before the inductance saturates and thus is not likely a good choice if you need to run any significant DC current through it. Look at its spec.

gusmas likes this.
  4. gusmas

Sep 27, 2008
    hey attached the datasheet. its the RB6122-36-0M5. On the 2nd page it shows the current handling capabilities. Will that apply for "normal" conditions?

I see wire wound SMD Inductors has a high current rating, but the inductor is so small are they viable in DC-DC converters?

Last edited: Jun 24, 2013
  5. crutschow

Expert

Mar 14, 2008
    Again those are common-mode chokes, typically used for suppressing common-mode noise in the input power line. The "normal" current rating is for equal and opposite normal mode currents through each winding. They do not suppress ripple voltage of normal-mode currents. You need a normal choke or inductor with a single winding.

You need to understand the difference between common-mode and normal-mode operation.

gusmas likes this.
  6. gusmas

Sep 27, 2008
    ah my mistake! I read now up on it and what you saying makes sense to me :D. No common choke then!

Next up is the SMD Power Inductors!!

The only type Inductor left that I can source inside my country, are the SMD. Which seem quite small for the amount of current they can handle.

Heres a link for one I am looking at:

http://za.rs-online.com/web/p/wire-wound-surface-mount-inductors/7271757/

It fits inside all the specs given in the datasheet, anything I must worry about when using SMD Power Inductors?

7. crutschow

Expert

Mar 14, 2008
    Nothing in particular. The only difference is just the way they are mounted.

gusmas likes this.
  8. gusmas

Sep 27, 2008
    Is there a way to give you some sort of +reputation? You are always so willing to help!

Thanks a lot for your input!

Last edited: Jun 25, 2013