Chip That Attracts To Another Chip

Brooke Kearney

Joined Jul 14, 2015
Hello All!
I need to know if there is a way that I can make a computerized chip that would have a strong attraction to another chip or piece of equipment. I know this can be acheived with a magnet but I would like to try this out if at all possible. The chip needs to be as small as I can get it. Preferably it should be able to fit into something that I can comfortably fit in my hand. It also cannot be heavy. Any amount of help would be greatly appreciated.

Art

Joined Sep 10, 2007
Not unless you complete some power hungry electromagnet controlled by a chip,
which would not be small including the battery pack/power supply
attracted to some metal in the other device.

ICs are usually digital devices, I don’t know of another force other than gravity
that could cause anything to attract each other.

sirch2

Joined Jan 21, 2013
It is usually worth stating what it is you are trying to achieve in as much detail as possible. There are a lot of helpful people on here but without knowing some details it's hard to give advice. What mass are you trying to lift/move/"stick"? is the device to be battery powered? do the batteries need to fit in your hand? how many operations per second/minute/week/life-time? Why not just use your hand?

But here's an idea, a rubber sucker with a solenoid controlled release valve?

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
There are four available forces which operate over vastly different scales:
  1. Gravity
  2. Electromagnetic
  3. Strong Nuclear
  4. Weak Nuclear
Tell us which of those applies to chips.

Art

Joined Sep 10, 2007
There's also romance if you can implement that in software.
In electroplating, there would be force pulling material off the anode toward the electrode.
There might be other freak ways, It's a problem that has caused me to give thought.